Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse
Working historic lighthouse, open daily for tours, that gives views over the meeting place of the Indian Ocean to the west, and the Southern Ocean to the south and east.
- Feature:Dogs Allowed - No,2WD Access - Yes
Cape Leeuwin was named by Flinders in 1801 after the Dutch exploration ship the Leeuwin (which means ‘lioness’), which visited the area in 1622.
The old lighthouse, which is still in use, is open daily for tours,
Twenty two ships were wrecked around Cape Leeuwin before the lighthouse was officially opened by WA Premier John Forrest in 1896 and only one after this time. Built by timber tycoon Maurice Coleman Davies and John Wishart, with clockwork apparatus and kerosene lantern designed by Chance Brothers, the 39-metre-tall light operated in original condition until 1982, when it was converted to hydraulics and electricity.
Detailed information on tour times is available from the Augusta-Margaret River Tourism Association phone (08) 9757 7411.
This information was provided by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions: dpaw.wa.gov.au
- Address: Leeuwin Road,Augusta,WA,6290