中文
Select Page

Join Our Community
You May Also Like

St George

St George Area (also known as St George District or St George Region) is a region of Sydney, part of the southern suburbs of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia.

Details

  • Area:89.647 km2
  • Elevation:693 m
  • Population:N/A
  • Local Government Area:Shoalhaven City Council

Description

St George Area (also known as St George District or St George Region) is a region of Sydney, part of the southern suburbs of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. The area includes all the suburbs in the local government area of Georges River Council and the part of Bayside Council which was Rockdale City prior to 2016. The eastern boundary of the district is Lady Robinson Beach on Botany Bay. The name "St George" derives from the cadastral Parish of St George (used for land title purposes), and the area was later covered by the St George County Council, the electricity supplier for the councils in this region. # History ## Indigenous Australians The first inhabitants of the St George area were Australian Aboriginals.At the time of the arrival of the First Fleet,the Eora tribe inhabited land from Port Jackson to Botany Bay and the Georges River. There is evidence to suggest that these people belonged to the Gweagal, Bidjigal and Cadigal clans. ## European settlement James Cook sailed HMS Endeavour into Botany Bay in 1770 for his first landing on the continent of Australia. Captain Arthur Phillip led the First Fleet into the bay on 18 January 1788 to found a penal colony there but found the sandy infertile soil disappointing and moved the site of the settlement north to the natural harbour of Port Jackson. The ridge between the Cooks River and Georges River was covered in a dense forest which first attracted timber cutters to the area. Wood gatherers, bark collectors, sawyers and charcoal burners moved into the area to work the forests of Simeon Lord and supply Sydney’s timber needs. By the 1840s, Major Mitchell was building the Illawarra Road (now Forest Road) on the ridge through ‘Lord’s Bush’, which required enormous amounts of trees and bush to be cleared. Irishman Michael Gannon was innkeeper at Cooks River in the 1840s. He acquired land in the area, part of which became known as ‘Gannons Forest’ which later was the centre of Hurstville. By 1851 it was estimated that 50 to 100 carts of timber and lime crossed the Cooks River daily.St George Parish was one of the original parishes within Cumberland County. It is one of nine parishes named after saints, of which only St George and St James are still commonly used as place names. A map of the parish revealed that the land was cut into areas ranging from 30 to 500 acres (2.0 km2) and a few large land grants of 2,000 acres (8.1 km2). The recipients were William Packer, Josh Thorp, James Oatley, Hannah Laycock, F. W. Unwin, Reuben and David Hannam, Patrick Moore, J. Beehag, John Porter and the larger grants were James Chandler and John and Robert Townson. The parish also covers the former City of Canterbury, now the eastern part of the City of Canterbury-Bankstown, although most customary references to the "St George area" today do not include that part of the parish.In 1920, the local councils in the St George area constituted St George County Council, to deal with distribution of electricity in the region. St George County Council was merged with Sydney County Council (another inter-council electricity supplier) to form "Sydney Electricity" in 1989. The regional identity was reinforced by the creation in 1949 of a federal electorate, the Division of St George, in the area. The Division was abolished in 1993. The area's identity is reflected in the name of the St George Illawarra Dragons team who play in the National Rugby League, and the St. George Bank. # Weather # Things to do

Location