Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases) Size & Year Wineries in Mount Barker
Wineries in Mount Barker
- [email protected]
- (08) 9851 2022
Taste with the owners at this stunning family-owned, legendary Mount Barker winery, offering some of the best views of the Porongurups, Stirling Ranges and Mount Barker Hill.
- Wine Region:Great Southern
- Wine Variety:Cabernet Merlot,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Pinot Noir,Riesling,Sauvignon Blanc,Shiraz,Merlot,Fortified
- Open Days/times:Cellar door: Mon to Sun 10am - 5pm
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Gallery
- Great Southern:Mount Barker
- Cases Produced:3500 cases
- Vineyards:13.1 hectares
- Winemaker:Kim Tyrer
- Size & Year:Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
A true family affair. Galafrey was founded by respected pioneer of Western Australian wine, the late Ian Tyrer in Mount Barker in 1977. His wife Linda, daughter Kim (and her husband Nigel) keep the family winery flourishing.
The dry grown vines include varieties Chardonnay, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Pinot Noir and blending varieties. There’s also the rarely-seen Muller Thurgau, a unique white variety planted too.
Most wine tastings at the impressive Galafrey cellar door are hosted by Linda, Kim or Nigel, who love chatting about their wines and sharing the story of their vineyard. Look out for Bruce, a Jack Russell (the winery dog) who enjoys meeting visitors at the carpark. The view is spectacular, with the Porongurups, Stirling Ranges and Mount Barker Hill all in visible from the high-altitude property. Visitors are invited to visit any time between 10am – 5pm daily.