Planted with Margaret River’s most diverse range of grape varieties, discover this organic, single-vineyard’s classic and curio wines at its period cottage tasting room, with unique heritage views.
- Open Days/times:Mon to Sat 10am to 5pm
- Wine Region:Margaret River
- Wine Variety:Botrytis Riesling,Cabernet,Cabernet Merlot,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Merlot,Petit Verdot,Tawny,Riesling,Sauvignon Blanc,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Semillon Sauvignon Blanc,Shiraz,Verdelho,Viognier,Zinfandel,Sparkling,Rosé,Brut,Cabernet Malbec,Grenache,Malbec,Marsanne,Fortified
- Brands:The Bartondale, St Johns, Estate Range, Silverleaf
- Cases Produced:45000 cases
- Vineyards:65 hectares
- Wheelchair Access:Yes
- Winemaker:Dave Longden
- Facilities:Wheelchair Access,Dogs Welcome,Cellar Door,Picnic Facilities
This family owned, single-vineyard property was established in 1999. The Fokkema family selected the site for its ideal gravel loam soils, ample clean water and northern-facing slopes. The vineyard has been farmed organically for 15 years and is in the process of completing its ‘Certified Organic’ accreditation.
The Churchview vineyard is known to grow Margaret River’s most extensive amount of varieties within a single vineyard, with sixteen different types of grapes planted.
The wines are made onsite at the property’s winery. Many are matured in oak, and Churchview prides itself on investing in the best quality French oak. Four wine ranges are made from the diverse varieties within the vineyard and offer easy drinking through to rare and fine collector wines. All the classic Margaret River varieties are made. The St Johns range features less-common varieties including a Zinfandel, Grenache Shiraz Mourvedre, Viognier and Marsanne.
The diverse wine range can be tasted at the Cellar Door which is located within a period cottage at the estate. The Heritage Listed St John the Baptist Anglican Church can be seen from the tasting room, hence the name. Many of the wines cannot be found for purchase anywhere other than the cellar door. Allow 30 minutes for a full tasting. Open 10am-5pm Monday to Saturday.
Dogs are welcome (on leash) and visitors are invited to bring a picnic and make a day of enjoying the beautiful wines, stunning vineyard views and manicured gardens.
Those seeking curio wines will love discovering the wild fermented Riesling, Viognier and Chenin Blanc; varieties not often seen in Margaret River.
4.5 Black Stars