The best way to enjoy the region is just to cruise around and drop in at the various cafes, galleries and antique stores and simply enjoy the slow-paced beauty of the region.
Known locally as the Golden Triangle, the 114km drive linking Balingup, Nannup and Bridgetown is one of the prettiest unofficial self-drive routes in the state, sprinkled with tempting cellar doors, restaurants and cafes.
Spend time walking around the various towns or get out and enjoy the pristine surrounds. There are plenty of walking and riding trails, bird-watching locations and of course the stunning Blackwood River.
- Pack a picnic overflowing with local olives and cheeses, and a bottle of the region’s best, and throw the rug down beside the tranquil Blackwood River.
- Drive the art trail through the region’s towns, and pick up a unique treasure.
- Don the walking boots and take a hike through native forests along the Bibbulmun Track.
- Saddle up, and prepare for adventure with a ride on a part of the renowned Munda Biddi mountain bike trail.
- See the blazing colours of thousands of tulips, or immerse yourself in a sea of purple with a visit to the lavender farms in Balingup and Nannup.
- Paddle a canoe along the Blackwood River.
- Get away from it all and enjoy a weekend in a secluded cottage, or take in the ambience at a bed and breakfast.
- Wander at your leisure through the arboretum at the Golden Valley Tree Park.
- Take a seat at one of the many quaint tearooms for some jam scones or a ploughman’s lunch.
- Stop in at one of the charming local pubs for an authentic Aussie experience.
TIP The evenings in the Blackwood River valley can be rather cool, even in the summer, so be sure to pack a jumper or two!
Don’t leave town without… looking up! The stars, especially the Milky Way, are absolutely amazing.
Stroll the grounds
Wander through wonderfully romantic Monet-inspired gardens that are the essence of the Blackwood River Valley.
In spring, two dozen gardens open across the valley for the Festival of Country Gardens, with several open in autumn as well. The private gardens of Holberry House are open all year round, and those at Sunnyhurst Winery, Bridgetown Library and Balingup and Nannup lavender farms (seasonally) are also worth a visit.
Get ready for some colour and take a walk along the trails at the Golden Valley Tree Park in Balingup. Stunning from spring to autumn, and fabulously haunting in the winter, you’ll want to take your time and explore.
A canoe adventure along the Blackwood River has never been easier. You can hire canoes in town (complete with trailer if you need), meet upstream and paddle back down, or take a self-guided 50km wilderness canoe and camping adventure. Grab a canoe map from a visitor centre.
Get lost amongst the memorabilia at Harvey Dickson’s Country Music Centre. Roaming the grounds, you’ll discover ingenious Guitar Men sculptures standing 10m tall in the paddocks, plus rodeo yards, stages and bars. And when there’s a live show, it offers an authentic hoedown.
Arts and crafts
The region has a creative soul, expressed in public artworks such as Balingup’s bright and quirky scarecrows, Nannup’s chainsaw-carved totems, yarn bombers in Bridgetown and Boyup Brook’s fascinating Sculpture Stalk Trail.