Wetherill Park is a suburb in Greater Western Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia.
- Area:11.214 km2
- Elevation:62 m
- Local Government Area:Fairfield City Council
Wetherill Park is a suburb in Greater Western Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Wetherill Park is located 34 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Fairfield.
The 2016 census recorded that Wetherill Park as having a resident population of 6,127. Just under half (47.5%) of these residents were born in Australia. The area is 11.2 km2.
Most residents live in the south-east corner, the larger portion of the suburb being an industrial area.Wetherill Park sits on the southern border of Prospect Reservoir. Located partially in the suburb, the Smithfield-Wetherill Park Industrial Estate is the largest industrial estate in the southern hemisphere and is the centre of manufacturing and distribution in Greater Western Sydney.
## Aboriginal culture
Aboriginal people from the Cabrogal clan of the Gandangara tribe, have lived in the area for more than 30,000 years.
## White settlement
Wetherill Park was named after a businessman who offered 21 acres (85,000 m2) of his property to the State government as a park. The offer was accepted and the park was named after the donor. The first settlers in set up their homes north of the present school site at Wetherill Park. One hundred years ago, there were not enough homes in this suburb to need a school.
With the commencement of the Prospect Reservoir Waterworks, a local storekeeper, Samuel Booth, made available a section of his land for a school, free of charge. The school, called 'Macquarie Park', was located on the corner of Victoria and Daniel Streets being 365 Victoria Street, Wetheril Park. It opened in May 1882 with 8 children but it was changed in June 1882 to 'Boothtown' for Samuel Booth's involvement in the establishment of the school. In 1884 it became Reservoir Public School and in 1896, it became the Wetherill Park Public School. In 1986 the school made way for the Phuoc Hue Temple, and was relocated down the road to Lily Street and renamed William Stimson Public School, in honour of the first mayor of the City of Fairfield.
# Things to do