中文
Select Page

Join Our Community
You May Also Like

Strathfield South

Strathfield South is a suburb, in the Inner West of Sydney, Australia in the state of New South Wales, 13 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the Strathfield local government area.

Details

  • Area:2.511 km2
  • Elevation:33 m
  • Population:3,546
  • Local Government Area:Strathfield Council

Description

Strathfield South is a suburb, in the Inner West of Sydney, Australia in the state of New South Wales, 13 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the Strathfield local government area. North Strathfield and Strathfield are separate suburbs, to the north. Strathfield South is located between Liverpool Road (Hume Highway) and the Cooks River, bordered on the east by Coronation Parade and to the west by the Enfield Marshalling Yards. # History Most of Strathfield South is located on two early land grants - the 1808 grant to James Wilshire (later known as the Redmire Estate) and the 1837 grant to Father John Joseph Therry, which became the Village of St Anne's.Wilshhire's grant was subdivided in 1867 and marketed as the 'Redmire Estate'. Roads in Strathfield South such as Dean Street and Water Street were established in this subdivision. A few early Victorian and Federation style homes survive from this early period of development.Father John Joseph Therry was granted 19 hectares (47 acres) in March 1837. To finance the building of the original St. Anne's Church (foundation stone laid July 1841) Father Therry offered 1.6-hectare (4-acre) blocks for £25, but insufficient money being available, a further 134 allotments were offered for sale in 1854 and the streets of the subdivision named after Saints or dignitaries of the Church. St Anne's Church is listed on the New South Wales State Heritage Register.The area around St Anne's Village and to the west of Cooks River was locally known as Bark Huts.Bark Huts was a hotel on Liverpool Road, halfway between Sydney and Liverpool, and a small settlement was established around the hotel. The Village of St Anne’s and the southern part of the Redmire Estate became known as Druitt Town. This name was given to the area by Joshua Judge Josephson, who owned large areas of land in the area, in honour of his friend Major George Druitt. Druitt Town Public School opened in 1881. In 1885, the part of Druitt Town north of Liverpool Road (including the school) became part of the newly incorporated Strathfield Council, after which addressed in that part of Druitt Town became listed under "Strathfield" in directories. This area is now the southern part of the suburb of Strathfield. Druitt Town public school was renamed Strathfield South Public School. The remaining part of Druitt Town became part of Enfield Municipal Council in 1889, shortly after which "Druitt Town" ceased to be used: addresses in the suburb instead became listed under the suburb of Enfield. The Druitt Town post office was moved to Enfield. The area was reincorporated into Strathfield Municipality in 1949, after which Strathfield Council renamed the part of former Enfield Municipality between Liverpool Road and the Cooks River as "Strathfield South". Former Enfield Town Hall and the associated war memorial are now located in Strathfield South. Coronation Reserve forms the border between Strathfield South and the suburb of Enfield, and was formerly the site of a tram line that led north to Burwood and Abbotsford and south to Croydon Park and then to Ashfield. # Weather # Things to do

Location