中文
Select Page

Join Our Community
You May Also Like

Revesby

Revesby, a suburb of local government area City of Canterbury-Bankstown, is located 22 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district, in the state of New South Wales, Australia, and is a part of the South-western Sydney region.

Details

  • Area:5.608 km2
  • Elevation:10 m
  • Population:14,176
  • Local Government Area:City of Canterbury-Bankstown

Description

Revesby, a suburb of local government area City of Canterbury-Bankstown, is located 22 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district, in the state of New South Wales, Australia, and is a part of the South-western Sydney region. Revesby is mostly a residential suburb, which was developed as part of Sydney's post-war urban sprawl, and contains many modest freestanding bungalows built from asbestos cement sheeting (fibro). Revesby is bounded on the north by Canterbury Road and the suburbs of Bankstown and Condell Park, on the south by Revesby Heights and Picnic Point, on the Georges River, on the west by Panania, and on the east by Padstow. # History Revesby was named in 1913 in honour of Sir Joseph Banks, the botanist who sailed with Captain James Cook on the Endeavour, when he reached the east coast of Australia in 1770. Banks had inherited his father’s estate of Revesby Abbey, in Lincolnshire, England, so he was known as the Squire of Revesby. He is also commemorated in the Sir Joseph Banks High School in Turvey Street. George Johnston, an officer of marines who had arrived on the First Fleet was granted land in this area in 1804. His wife Esther Julian, who had arrived as a convict on the same ship in 1788 was granted 570 acres (2.3 km2) in 1813. The earliest landowners did not reside in the area. The only mansion built in the early days was 'The Pah' on Tompson Road. It was built in 1896-97 by Samuel John Hales on 14 acres (57,000 m2) that had been purchased from the Weston estate. The property was subdivided in 1926 but the house remains. The first school opened as Bankstown South in 1896; now known as Revesby Public School. The railway station opened on 21 December 1931. The local post office opened in 1955. # Weather # Things to do

Location