Bakery Hill is an inner city suburb of Ballarat in Victoria, Australia.
- Area:0.239 km2
- Elevation:429 m
- Local Government Area:City of Ballarat
Bakery Hill is an inner city suburb of Ballarat in Victoria, Australia. It is the smallest suburb in the city of Ballarat in terms of both area and population, which at the 2016 census was just 164 people. The area is a mix of residential and commercial, as it has been since it came into existence at the beginning of the gold rush. In the present time it is mainly known for its restaurants and pubs, as well as fast food. The suburb boundaries are that of Mair, East, Barkly, Steinfield and Peel Streets.
Bakery Hill is one of the most historic places in Ballarat and is culturally important to the city.At what is now 29 St. Paul's Way, several large public meetings were held before and after the Eureka Stockade. It is most likely to be the site that insurgents swore the Eureka oath while pledging allegiance to the Southern Cross on 1 December 1854.It was also one of the richest mining leads in Australia and was the site where the Welcome Nugget was discovered on 9 June 1858.
Bakery Hill dates back to the foundation of Ballarat and the town of East Ballarat. The suburb is located to the East of Ballarat, which known for its lack of town planning. East Ballarat developed organically around the site of gold mines. The Eureka Stockade began when insurgents swore the Eureka oath, their allegiance to the Southern Cross on 1 December 1854. Today, a flag pole flies the Eureka Flag to welcome those who arrive at the city from the East.
The area was of prime importance to commerce and the early inhabitants of Ballarat because it was the location where Victoria Street (the road to Melbourne) met Main Road (the road to Geelong).Bridge Mall and Street are named after the first bridge to cross the Yarrowee River, which existed until the river was directed underground. The street's width reflects the width of the original bridge. The street is six feet higher than it was in the 1850s and 1860s after it was built up to avoid flooding, which had become frequent due to extensive mining on the Black Hill Flats.
# Things to do