Tura New Music
ALL VENUES CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
Established by Founder and Artistic Director Tos Mahoney in 1987 as a producer and champion of new music and the sonic arts, Tura New Music is a multi-award-winning Australian arts organisation. With its expansive range of city-based and regional programs, Tura works with both high profile and emerging artists to ignite the disruptor in music through artistic risk and discovery.
Due to the diversity of its programs, in designing them, Tura provides an arena for the constant development of globally significant artworks that reflect Australia’s energy, diversity and sense of place. In doing this, Tura creates an essential pipeline for Australian new music and the sonic arts.
Tura presents a year round program of events including:
- The Totally Huge New Music Festival
- Sounds Outback
- Scale Variable New Chamber Music Series
- Club Zho
- Regional Touring Program
- Remote Residency Program
- Artists in Residence Program
- Young and Emerging Curators Program
What is New Music?
New Music – from compositions of contemporary orchestral works to the latest in computer-generated music – is created by composers living and practicing today in a variety of genres and forms, all sharing the common theme that they rigorously explore new ground in their particular field of creativity, exposing audiences to new possibilities in music and sound.
The lives of Western Australians and lovers of New Music everywhere are enriched by extraordinary, challenging and innovative cultural experiences, with Western Australia recognised as a hotbed of New Music making and experimentation.
Tura aims to be the peak body for New Music in Western Australia, advocating for and supporting the full life cycle of New Music – the creation, development, promotion, presentation and distribution of New Music – for its artists, organisations and audiences, locally, nationally and internationally.
To this end, Tura:
- Develops and delivers diverse productions, presentations, events and tours
- Presents a diverse range of programs that provide opportunities for education, sensory and intellectual enrichment and which contribute to Western Australia’s cultural identity
- Supports the creation, development, promotion and presentation of New Music across a broad range of activity including but not limited to orchestra/chamber, improvisation, electronica, computer music, sound art and new forms that are and will be created
- Acts as a resource and advocacy centre for Government, industry, composers, performers and the community
- Provides vital support, information and advice to emerging and accomplished New Music composers and performers and organisations
- Promotes discussion with regard to the diverse philosophies and techniques of New Music
- Promotes interaction and collaboration between New Music and other contemporary art forms, including new media.
Tura paves the way for exceptional and curious encounters with unique sound worlds.