中文
Select Page

Join Our Community
You May Also Like

Turramurra

Turramurra is a suburb on the Upper North Shore of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia.

Details

  • Area:6.001 km2
  • Elevation:181 m
  • Population:11,919
  • Local Government Area:Ku-ring-gai Council

Description

Turramurra is a suburb on the Upper North Shore of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. It is located 16 kilometres (10 mi) north-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Ku-ring-gai Council. It shares the postcode of 2074 with the adjacent suburbs of North Turramurra, South Turramurra and Warrawee. # History Turramurra is an Aboriginal word which is thought to mean either high hill, big hill, high place, or small watercourse. The Aboriginal reference of high hill covered the range from Pymble to Turramurra. Early European settlers referred to the area as Eastern Road.The name Turramurra was adopted when the railway station was built in 1890.One of the early local landmarks was Ingleholme, a two-storey Federation Queen Anne home in Boomerang Street. It was designed by John Sulman (1849–1934) as his own home and built c.?1896. The house was part of the Presbyterian Ladies College (now the Pymble Ladies' College) until 1977 and was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999; and is on the (now defunct) Register of the National Estate as a notable example of Sulman's style. The Indian born diplomat Sir Henry Braddon's home was "Rohini", previously situated at the end of Rohini Street.Turramurra Post Office opened on 16 August 1890.St Andrew's in Kissing Point Road is an example of the Federation Carpenter Gothic style. In 1932, Lewy Pattinson, founder of Washington H. Soul Pattinson, gave the Presbyterian Church in NSW the land for Mission Hall, at what is now 106 Kissing Point Road. In 1936, ownership was transferred by Pattinson to St Margaret's Presbyterian Church, Turramurra.A Turramurra East Post Office opened on 1 May 1959 and closed in 1993. The Turramurra North Post Office opened on 1 September 1953.North Turramurra and South Turramurra became separate suburbs on 5 August 1994. ## Hillview The Hillview estate, situated on the Pacific Highway, started circa 1890 with a modest Federation cottage facing the highway. Later, the owner realized the commercial potential of the site, with its sweeping views, and built a grand, two-storey Federation home at the rear, to be used as a guesthouse, circa 1913. A large, six-car garage with a dwelling above it was added at the western end of the site in 1915. The estate was later leased out to Ku Ring Gai Hospital, Hornsby, to be used as the Hillview Community Health Centre. The entire estate is heritage-listed. # Weather # Things to do

Location