中文
Select Page

Join Our Community
You May Also Like

Tulloona

Tulloona is a heritage-listed residence at 562 Ballina Road, Goonellabah, City of Lismore, New South Wales, Australia.

Details

  • Area:363.157 km2
  • Elevation:216 m
  • Population:50
  • Local Government Area:Moree Plains Shire Council

Description

Tulloona is a heritage-listed residence at 562 Ballina Road, Goonellabah, City of Lismore, New South Wales, Australia. It was built from 1895 to 1896. It has also been known as Northcott House and St Peter's Anglican Church. It was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999. # History Thomas McGregor was the owner of the land in 1872. He erected a hut and set about preparing the site for a residence.William and Jessie Northcott arrived in Lismore in 1879 and bought businesses and had a saddlery business in the already developed town. The expanding Northcott family lived above their "Trading Palace" in Molesworth Street, Lismore. He later purchased a farm of several hundred acres at Goonellabah. Tulloona House was built in 1895 for the Northcott family. William Northcott set out to establish an "English Park" setting and sited Tulloona on 4 acres at the highest point with wonderful views in all directions. The builder was Mr Brown, father of the late George Brown of Brown & Jolly.A schoolroom was built behind the house. All the buildings were painted white. An acetylene and generating plant supplied the lighting for the house and buildings.A two thousand gallon tank was erected between the house and the schoolroom, and the water was pumped to the tank by a windmill, erected beside a twenty eight feet deep, eighteen feet in diameter well. The water was piped to every part of the property, including pipes for hundreds of yards to the house, dairy and piggery on the farm on the northern end of the property overlooking Bexhill.Stables for 4 horses was built at the back of the 4 acre property, together with the carriage house for 2 buggies, a sulky and a "sociable", which held 9 people (3 in the front and 6 in the back with seats facing each other). The sulky was for the use of the staff on their days off. William Northcott drove to Lismore each day in the smaller buggy, which he called the phaeton. On Sundays he drove his family to Church in the "sociable" with 2 matching grey horses. This outfit was always made available when anyone of note came to Lismore, and the 2 horses, Beauchamp and Carrington, showed their paces on these important occasions. On their outings to Ballina, a 3rd horse Prince was harnessed with them. All members of the family were competent both as drivers and riders.In 1910 the family purchased their first car, a Model T Ford. They all learned to drive except William who loved to drive his horses, and after his first attempt was content to be a passenger.The house and high tank stand was a well known landmark and was a tourist attraction and could be seen from Casino and Dunoon. The walls could also be seen from Bangalow and Byron Bay lighthouse with binoculars.Three maids were employed in the house and always wore uniforms, caps and aprons. Two men were employed outside.In 1915 the family moved to Sydney and sold Tulloona to Dr Cahill.In 1961 the Anglican Church bought the property as new premises for St Peter's Anglican Church. The lower floor was converted into a chapel, while the upper floor served as a residence for the curate. In 1978 the Anglican Church advertised for demolition tenders for the house to sell as building materials. That same year an Interim Conservation Order was placed on Tulloona to prevent demolition.In 1980 Tulloona was purchased by a Mr Randall. He applied successfully to the Heritage Assistance Program for funding to conserve Tulloona. Conservation and restoration work was undertaken in the following years.In 1981 a Permanent Conservation Order was placed on Tulloona.The Heritage Council awarded $2,500 to the owners to contribute to a Conservation Management Plan which was produced in August 2005.It was subsequently sold by long-term owners Sue and Michael Dakin c. 2012 after having comprehensively restored the property. # Weather # Things to do

Location