Graciano Wine Variety Wineries in Western Australia
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Wineries in Western Australia
Enjoy exclusive Mediterranean wines at a boutique winery in the Preston Valley of the Geographe Wine Region, with only 1000-1200 cases produced yearly.
- Wine Variety:Graciano,Grenache,Malbec,Shiraz,Tempranillo,Rose,Mourvedre,Fume Blanc,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay
- Open Days/times:No Cellar Door. Appointments please.
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Facilities:Appointment Only
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000,Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases)
- Geographe:Ferguson Valley
- Vineyards:3 hectares
- Cases Produced:1000-1200
- Winemaker:Michael Edwards
Established in 1999, with the first vintage in 2006, Ilonka and Michael tend the land and organically grow grapes and wine. They are passionate about sustainable living and pursuing excellence in wine making.
Small quantities and small batch winemaking is the focus of Bakheia Wines, with only 1000-1200 cases bottled each year. The wines are only available to the exclusive mailing list, limited to 400 to retain exclusivity and build mutual loyalty. Tastings of the wine is available at the vineyard by appointment only.
The wine making approach taken is minimalist with reds not fined or filtered before bottling allowing the natural settling of wine over time. Wines on offer include Grenache, Mourvedre, Graciano, Tempranillo, Shiraz, Malbec and Cabernet Sauvignon and sourced from the neighbors is Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc to make Fume Blanc.
Pricing of the wines is rather unique, determined directly by mailing list members who sit down, taste and talk about the quality of the wine. Bakheia Wines pride themselves on keeping honest and ego free as reflected in the philosophical label "Aequitas".
Inspired by the great wines of Rioja and the Douro Valley in Spain, visit the Mazza family and try the Geographe wine region’s first portfolio of single-vineyard Spanish and Portuguese varieties.
- Open Days/times:No Cellar Door
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Graciano,Tempranillo,Tinta Cao
- Cases Produced:Less than 999
- Winemaker:David and Anne Mazza
- Facilities:Functions,No Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Micro (1-999 cases),Established 2001 - 2010
David and Anne Mazza were inspired by the great wines of Rioja and the Douro Valley, and continue a longstanding family tradition of making wine. Established in 2002 near Donnybrook, the Mazza Wines vineyard is planted with six Spanish and Portugese varieties, and is the only of its kind in the Geographe Region. The vineyard has ten acres of carefully-managed vines that receive a lot of attention, where the most labour-intensive practices are a priority in the vineyard to grow the best quality grapes.
Mazza Wines produces six red grape varieties; Bastardo, Graciano, Tempranillo, Tinta Cao, Touriga Nacional and Sousao. From these, straight varietal wines, a Tempranillo Graciano blend and fortified wines are produced.
Discover some of Australia’s finest, internationally-awarded fortified wines and liquors at the homely cellar door of this three-generation winemaking family.
- Wine Variety:Shiraz,Verdelho,Graciano,Port,Rose,Ruby Port,Dessert,Fortified,Muscat,Semillon
- Open Days/times:Cellar door: Everyday except Tue 10:30am to 4:30pm. Open public holidays.
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Wheelchair Access
- Winemaker:James and Hilda Talijancich
- Size & Year:Established 1901 - 1950,Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases)
- Wheelchair Access:Ramps and walkways link the car park and facilities. Wheelchair accessible bathrooms.
Croatian-born Jim Talijancich and his wife Ljucibica purchased this Swan Valley property in 1932 and began making fortified wine from Muscat and Shiraz. Times were tough in those early years and were made tougher upon Jim’s passing, when son Peter was just 13 years old. Peter ceased schooling immediately to work with his mother on the vineyard, the horse and plough becoming one of his new regular tasks. Peter led all operations and winemaking for over 50 years until he passed Talijancich onto son his James and wife Hilda in 1998.
Talijancich has a long-term reputation as a fortified wine specialist. Their range includes a 30 Year Old Rare Tawny, Muscat and Pedro Ximenes Liqueur. There is also a selection of still red and white wines including a beautiful Verdelho and an old-vine Shiraz. The vineyard follows bio-dynamic, organic principles.
The cellar door is located in their converted winery homestead, offering a relaxed setting with lovely views. It is open from 10.30am to 4.30pm all days, except Tuesday.
4 Black Stars
- [email protected]
- (08) 9758 9500
Discover James Halliday’s Australian Winery of the Year (2014), one of the region’s pioneer estates, offering a range of tasting experiences and simple, modern dining at its award-winning restaurant.
- Wine Variety:Graciano,Malbec,Rose,Semillon Sauvignon Blanc,Cabernet Sauvignon,Viognier,Chardonnay,Shiraz
- Open Days/times:Cellar door: Mon to Sun 10am to 5pm, restaurant: Mon to Sun 12pm to 3pm
- Wine Region:Margaret River
- Vineyards:109.5 hectares
- Size & Year:Medium (50,000-499,999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
- Margaret River:Wallcliffe
- Lunch Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Cases Produced:70 000 cases
- Facilities:Kids Play Area,Cellar Door,Light Food,Restaurant,Functions
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
Xanadu Wines has grown into one of Margaret River’s most exciting labels. For three years running it was the Best Wine Exhibitor on Show at the Margaret River Wine Awards (2010, 2012, 2013). This was topped off in 2014 when Xanadu was awarded James Halliday’s Australian Winery of the Year.
A regional pioneer, Xanadu was established in 1977 by Dr John Lagan, an Irishman, who arrived in Margaret River in 1968 and was inspired by the pioneering spirit of the region. In 2005 the estate was purchased by the Rathbone family who own iconic Australian vineyards Mount Langi Ghiran and Yering Station.
There is an enclosed grass area and playground for kids, kids menu and colouring-in sheets are available.
The wine range is grown from three estate-owned vineyards in Margaret River. The team’s philosophy is to nurture the wines through to the bottle, rather than ‘beating them into submission’ to make expressive, regional wines. With this principle and the leadership of winemaker Glenn Goodall the Chardonnays and Cabernet Sauvignons are some Margaret River’s most acclaimed benchmarks.
The winery's Cabernet Sauvignon received the Jimmy Watson Trophy in 2018.
Built from granite and gneissic rocks excavated during the planting of the original vineyard, the cellar door first was used as artist studio. The rustic meets contemporary building in the heart of the vineyard, surrounded by native vegetation. All wines can be tasted daily and groups are encouraged to book a structured tasting, starting from $5 for 10 or more guests. Private winery tours can be arranged in advance too. Open daily 10am – 5pm.
A regular representative of The West Australian Good Food Guide’s Top 50 WA Restaurants, the Xanadu restaurant serves up classic, stylish meals made with produce from the nearby farms, ocean and the Xanadu vegetable garden. Look out for a special selection of museum wine releases that cannot be found anywhere else in the world, but in the Xanadu Restaurant. Executive Chef Melissa Kakoti has been at the helm since 2007. The restaurant is open daily from 12pm - 3pm.
5 Red Stars