Tinta Cao Wine Variety Wineries in Western Australia
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Wineries in Western Australia
In the Swan Valley, about 10km from Midland. An international affair - run by Danes Claus and Lisbet Petersen, who use South African yeasts and Hungarian oak to produce their wines.
- Wine Variety:Merlot,Muscat,Pinot Noir,Semillon,Shiraz,Tinta Cao,Touriga,Sparkling,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Open Days/times:Weekends and public holidays 10am-5pm
- Vineyards:4.5 hectares
- Facilities:Restaurant,Cellar Door,Functions
- Cellar Door Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Lunch Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Cases Produced:5000
- Size & Year:Small (5,000-49,999 cases),Established 1901 - 1950
Henley Park Wines was established by the Yujnovich family in 1935, and purchased by Hans Buchart Petersen ù a former Danish politician and vice-consul to WA ù in 1986. Claus, Hans' son, and wife Lisbet have since become principals, moving from Denmark and producing a range of wines ù Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Muscat, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Cabernet and Merlot. About 2000 cases of mainly Shiraz are exported to the Petersen's homeland each year with a Tawny Port, made from Portugese grape varieties, also produced annually. Cafe-style meals are available Friday to Sunday.
Inspired by the great wines of Rioja and the Douro Valley in Spain, visit the Mazza family and try the Geographe wine region’s first portfolio of single-vineyard Spanish and Portuguese varieties.
- Open Days/times:No Cellar Door
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Graciano,Tempranillo,Tinta Cao
- Winemaker:David and Anne Mazza
- Facilities:Functions,No Cellar Door
- Cases Produced:Less than 999
- Size & Year:Micro (1-999 cases),Established 2001 - 2010
David and Anne Mazza were inspired by the great wines of Rioja and the Douro Valley, and continue a longstanding family tradition of making wine. Established in 2002 near Donnybrook, the Mazza Wines vineyard is planted with six Spanish and Portugese varieties, and is the only of its kind in the Geographe Region. The vineyard has ten acres of carefully-managed vines that receive a lot of attention, where the most labour-intensive practices are a priority in the vineyard to grow the best quality grapes.
Mazza Wines produces six red grape varieties; Bastardo, Graciano, Tempranillo, Tinta Cao, Touriga Nacional and Sousao. From these, straight varietal wines, a Tempranillo Graciano blend and fortified wines are produced.