Tinta Cao Wine Variety Wineries in Western Australia
Wineries in Western Australia
- [email protected]
- (08) 9755 3300
Established in 1978, Happs is a Margaret River wine pioneer, offering the region’s largest selection of wines in complex of mud-brick buildings including a working pottery in a garden setting.
- Wine Variety:Cabernet Merlot,Chardonnay,Muscat,Pinot Noir,Semillon,Shiraz,Verdelho,Touriga,Viognier,Cabernet Sauvignon,Gamay,Moscato,Nebbiolo,Fortified,Method Traditionale,Petit Verdot,Sangiovese,Sauvignon Blanc,Syrah,Tempranillo,Tinta Cao,Cabernet,Cabernet Franc,Chenin Blanc,Graciano,Malbec,Marsanne,Merlot,Botrytis Semillon,Sparkling,Rosé,Dessert,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Grenache,Sparkling Rose
- Wine Region:Margaret River
- Open Days/times:10am - 5pm Everyday
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000,Small (5,000-49,999 cases)
- Cases Produced:14000
- Facilities:Dogs Welcome,Kids Play Area,Cellar Door,Gallery,Picnic Facilities
- Vineyards:35.2 hectares
- Margaret River:Yallingup
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
Happs has welcomed visitors to their rustic cellar door for over 35 years. There is a wine for every palate including those allergic to preservatives. Many visitors review us on Trip Advisor. The 4.5 star rating puts the winery in the top 10% globally.
The wines are produced entirely in house from estate-grown fruit from the Quindalup and the larger Karridale vineyard known as Three Hills. The Three Hills property is associated with later ripening, fuller flavour, elegance and finesse. The wine range includes sweet, dry, preservative free, fortified, and sparkling wines.
The rustic cellar door was built in the 1970s and is constructed of handmade mud-bricks. Look closely to see builders’ finger marks on the walls, capturing, “the essence of old school Margaret River". It's warm and inviting. Cellar door staff offer a friendly, educated approach to explain the extensive portfolio of wines.
Take a basket and select from a range of gourmet cheese, meats, pickled vegetables and preserves from more than 15 local producers, pair with some Happs Wine and indulge! Picnic on the lawn, at the outside tables, or inside if it’s a rainy day.
The Commonage Pottery
Happs Pottery began in Vasse in the early 1970s. The current workshop and gallery was built in 1978. See artists at work in the act of creation. A wide range of handicrafts and jewellery from local artisans is available.
Family Owned & Operated Since 1978
Back in the 1970s local high school teachers Erl and Ros Happ, responded to the notion that world class wines could be produced locally. In the words of the Frank Sinatra song 'I did it my way'.
5 Red Stars
In the Swan Valley, about 10km from Midland. An international affair - run by Danes Claus and Lisbet Petersen, who use South African yeasts and Hungarian oak to produce their wines.
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Wine Variety:Sparkling,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Tinta Cao,Touriga,Merlot,Muscat,Pinot Noir,Semillon,Shiraz
- Open Days/times:Weekends and public holidays 10am-5pm
- Facilities:Functions,Restaurant,Cellar Door
- Cellar Door Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Vineyards:4.5 hectares
- Lunch Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Cases Produced:5000
- Size & Year:Small (5,000-49,999 cases),Established 1901 - 1950
Henley Park Wines was established by the Yujnovich family in 1935, and purchased by Hans Buchart Petersen ù a former Danish politician and vice-consul to WA ù in 1986. Claus, Hans' son, and wife Lisbet have since become principals, moving from Denmark and producing a range of wines ù Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Muscat, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Cabernet and Merlot. About 2000 cases of mainly Shiraz are exported to the Petersen's homeland each year with a Tawny Port, made from Portugese grape varieties, also produced annually. Cafe-style meals are available Friday to Sunday.
Inspired by the great wines of Rioja and the Douro Valley in Spain, visit the Mazza family and try the Geographe wine region’s first portfolio of single-vineyard Spanish and Portuguese varieties.
- Open Days/times:No Cellar Door
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Graciano,Tempranillo,Tinta Cao
- Cases Produced:Less than 999
- Winemaker:David and Anne Mazza
- Facilities:Functions,No Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Micro (1-999 cases),Established 2001 - 2010
David and Anne Mazza were inspired by the great wines of Rioja and the Douro Valley, and continue a longstanding family tradition of making wine. Established in 2002 near Donnybrook, the Mazza Wines vineyard is planted with six Spanish and Portugese varieties, and is the only of its kind in the Geographe Region. The vineyard has ten acres of carefully-managed vines that receive a lot of attention, where the most labour-intensive practices are a priority in the vineyard to grow the best quality grapes.
Mazza Wines produces six red grape varieties; Bastardo, Graciano, Tempranillo, Tinta Cao, Touriga Nacional and Sousao. From these, straight varietal wines, a Tempranillo Graciano blend and fortified wines are produced.