Tokay Wine Variety Wineries in Swan Valley
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Wineries in Swan Valley Region
The last of the old-style Swan Valley wineries, crushing 100+ tonnes of fruit, producing 20 different styles of fortified wines sold by the bottle, in flagons and fill-your-own 2-litre containers.
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Dessert,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Tokay,Grenache,Muscat,Port,Rose,Sauvignon Blanc,Sherry,Shiraz
- Open Days/times:Appointment Only
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Appointment Only
- Cases Produced:100 tonnes
- Vineyards:10.5 hectares
- Winemaker:Tony Bakranich
- Size & Year:Micro (1-999 cases),Established 1901 - 1950
Established in 1954 by migrant Tony Bakranich, a self-taught winemaker, ownership has since passed to Velko and Helen Bakranich, the next generation of the family. Thankfully, nothing much has changed over the years.
James Halliday notes Highway Wines as “A survivor of another era, when literally dozens of such wineries plied their business in the Swan Valley”. Over 10.5 hectares of land producing over 100 tonnes of fruit each year. Vintage Port is the most popular but they produce about 20 types including ports, muscat, tokay and sherries. Some of the wine is sold in bottles but the majority is sold in two-litre flagons and those who want to bring their own containers. Vintage port is the most popular drop in Highway's fortified range and all the grapes come from the 10.5 hectare vineyard, which produces more than 100 tonnes of fruit each year.
Sales are made through the cellar door; open by appointment only.
About 10km north of Midland in the heart of the Swan Valley. Specialising in bulk dry reds, whites and fortifieds and also packaging its wine in 750ml bottles.
- Wine Variety:Dessert,Classic Dry White,Rose,Sherry,Fortified,Sparkling,Port,Shiraz,Tokay,Muscat,Verdelho
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Open Days/times:Cellar door: Mon to Sun 10am to 5pm
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Size & Year:Established 1901 - 1950
- Winemaker:Dorothy Kraljevich
- Facilities:Cellar Door
Mark Kraljevich and wife Dorothy run the 12-hectare Twin Hills property, which has been in the family since 1955. Prior to that time, Twin Hills was a winery located in the Perth foothills ù a location chosen by Mark's father Steve, who arrived from Croatia in August 1926 (age 18). The Baskerville vineyard proved much more yielding, Mark growing about 50 tonnes of fruit each year and producing a dry and sweet Verdelho, Cabernet Shiraz and Shiraz. The grapes are picked when very ripe, and Mark delivers the full-bodied and fruity wines to individual customers around Perth each week.