Pinot Noir Wine Variety Wineries in Swan Valley
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Wineries in Swan Valley Region
In the Swan Valley, about 10km from Midland. An international affair - run by Danes Claus and Lisbet Petersen, who use South African yeasts and Hungarian oak to produce their wines.
- Wine Variety:Tinta Cao,Touriga,Sparkling,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Merlot,Muscat,Pinot Noir,Semillon,Shiraz
- Open Days/times:Weekends and public holidays 10am-5pm
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Facilities:Restaurant,Cellar Door,Functions
- Cellar Door Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Lunch Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Cases Produced:5000
- Size & Year:Small (5,000-49,999 cases),Established 1901 - 1950
- Vineyards:4.5 hectares
Henley Park Wines was established by the Yujnovich family in 1935, and purchased by Hans Buchart Petersen ù a former Danish politician and vice-consul to WA ù in 1986. Claus, Hans' son, and wife Lisbet have since become principals, moving from Denmark and producing a range of wines ù Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Muscat, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Cabernet and Merlot. About 2000 cases of mainly Shiraz are exported to the Petersen's homeland each year with a Tawny Port, made from Portugese grape varieties, also produced annually. Cafe-style meals are available Friday to Sunday.
An ambient, welcoming winery founded by one of WA’s premier culinary families, offering flavourful, generous wine styles and a varied, seasonal and delicious menu.
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Wine Variety:Dessert,Fortified,Cabernet Sauvignon,Shiraz,Rose,Chardonnay,Malbec,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Sparkling Shiraz,Riesling,Pinot Gris,Pinot Noir
- Open Days/times:Thu to Sun 10am to 5pm
- Facilities:Functions,Cellar Door,Restaurant
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000,Small (5,000-49,999 cases)
- Cellar Door Open:Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Lunch Open:Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Cases Produced:7000 cases
- Vineyards:2 hectares
- Winemaker:Digby Leddin
Lamont's began in the Swan Valley in the late 1970s. These days the family also operates a collection of acclaimed restaurants and cafes around WA, in Perth, Cottesloe and Margaret River.
The Lamont family began winemaking when founder Corin Lamont joined with her father Jack Mann to make wines for the family following Jack’s retirement. Jack Mann was an Australian winemaking legend who led the way at Swan Valley’s icon estate, Houghton, for over 50 years.
Lamont's has adapted over the years to create a genuine experience for both enjoying and learning about wines. The designated tasting area has a warm winery ambience and a friendly atmosphere making it a great place to spend time in the Valley. The wine list is quite diverse with over 15 wines including sparkling, dry and sweet whites and reds, and an outstanding range of fortifieds. Casual group wine tastings start from $10 per person from groups of 10 to 60 people.
Lamont's is known widely for their tapas-sized dishes that are designed to share. Tip: The Duck Parfait and Tempura Battered “Shark Bay” Whiting Fillets are classic dishes its loyal diners love! There is also a kid’s menu and tempting dessert selection. The deluxe Wine Tasting and Sit Down Rolling Tapas Lunch offers exceptional value, from just $60 per person. Open Thursday to Sunday, 10am to 5pm.
5 Black Stars & 2015 ‘Dark Horse Winery’ with 6 wines rated 94 points and above.
Situated on the banks of the Swan, delight in the stunning natural setting and manicured lawns, multi award-winning wines and superb a la carte restaurant, winner of several gold-plate awards.
- Open Days/times:10am - 4pm daily
- Wine Variety:Cabernet Franc,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Grenache,Malbec,Petit Verdot,Pinot Noir,Sangiovese,Semillon,Shiraz,Tempranillo,Verdelho,Vermentino,Zinfandel
- Vineyards:27 acres
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Lunch Open:Saturday,Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
- Breakfast Open:Sunday
First planted on the fertile banks of the Swan River in 1988, the vineyard of this stunning property has grown to encompass nearly thirty acres of mature, low yielding vines, producing exceptional fruit that is lovingly handcrafted into premium, regional, varietal wines, vinified and bottled on-site.
The Cellar Door, open 10am - 4pm daily, should be your first stop, offering a large range of reds, whites and rosé wines for tasting. In total, 17 varieties of grapes are grown at Riverbank Estate, including 5 white varieties; Verdelho, Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Chardonnay and Vermentino; and 12 red varities including; Tempranillo, Malbec, Grenache, Zinfandel, Sangiovese, Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Pinot Noir, Nero D’Avola and Mataro.
Take the time to enjoy a superb lunch at the restaurant, winner of several gold plate awards. Architecturally designed and rustic in style with wide verandahs and large expanses of manicured lawns provide plenty of space to slow down and unwind while taking in the beautiful vineyard and stunning surrounds. The menu changes regularly to incorporate the best seasonal foods and where possible, local, organically grown produce.
WEDDINGS / EVENTS
Riverbank holds a range of public events, all listed on their website.
The estate is also popular for weddings and events, with a dedicated coordinator able to arrange stunning events at the restaurant, on the lawns or even a marquee for hire, all of which enjoy 180 degree, panoramic views towards the Swan River and the historical landmark of Woodbridge House.
Tastings are available daily between 10am and 4pm.
Our Restaurant is open between 11:30am and 3pm, and is also open on Sundays for breakfast from 7:30am to 10:30am.
Voted best Swan Valley Cellar Door in 2018, enjoy the stunning restaurant, cellar door and award-winning wines with grapes sourced from Margaret River, Franklyn River and Swan District.
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Sparkling,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Port,Shiraz,Dessert,Cabernet Malbec,Muscat,Pinot Gris,Pinot Noir,Sauvignon Blanc,Tempranillo,Verdelho,Rose,Grenache Shiraz,Petit Verdot,Sparkling Rose,Sparkling Shiraz,Grenache,Malbec
- Open Days/times:Cellar Door: Tue - Sun 10am to 4pm, Restaurant: Tue – Sun 9.30am to 4pm
- Cellar Door Open:Sunday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday
- Lunch Open:Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Facilities:Functions,Restaurant,Cellar Door
- Cases Produced:8000 cases
- Vineyards:10 hectares
- Size & Year:Small (5,000-49,999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
Nestled among the vines on a gently winding road near the upper reaches of the Swan River lies one of the jewels of the historic Swan Valley.
Founded by Simon and Maaike Berns in 1998 and named after a small Australian bird which abounds in the nearby tree-lined Swan River, Sittella Winery is one of the newest wineries in the Swan Valley.
Sittella’s Swan Valley vineyard thrives on the fertile soils and Mediterranean climate of hot dry summers and mild wet winters, producing a range of rich, full flavoured wines. Simon and Maaike Berns have been successful in producing high quality traditional wine styles using Verdelho, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Tempanillo and Petit Verdot, and now source grapes from other vineyards in the Swan Valley, their own Margaret River property and and Franklyn River in the Great Southern. Over the past five years, production has increased dramatically with a crush of over 100 tonnes.
Maaike is responsible for the imaginative architecture of the restaurant, incorporating the essence of modern Italy into this wonderful earth-rendered winery.
The winery and Restaurant is open from 11:00am to 4:00pm Tuesdays – Sundays and public holidays.
The Sittella Vineyard is located on a stretch of fertile land 20 km north-east of Perth. In this upper river district, with the Darling Ranges to the east and the Indian Ocean to the west, the warm Mediterranean style climate provides steady winter rainfall and hot, dry summers which produce grapes of wonderful flavour, richness, balance and style. The water supply is a trickle system using bore water. Verdelho, Chardonnay, Shiraz, vines grow over a 5 hectare allotment on rich alluvial sandy loam soils (3 hectares under vine). Recent plantings also include Tempranillo, and Petit Verdot.
MARGARET RIVER ESTATE
Located at Willyabrup, 260 kms south west of Perth. The region’s temperate southern climate has been likened to Bordeaux with its generous winter rainfall, freedom from spring frosts and subdued summer temperatures – the ideal growing conditions for international wine styles. With 2.5 hectares of undulating land and soils are amongst the best in the area. Comprised of red brown loam with some gravel that ensures good natural drainage. Varieties include Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc and more recently Malbec to develop a classic red Blend.