Chenin Verdelho Wine Variety Wineries in Perth and Surrounds
Wineries in Perth And Surrounds
- [email protected]
- 08 9296 4539
The heritage of WA’s oldest winery, four-generations of family ownership and the ‘dream’ cellar door including a decadent cheese emporium, makes for one unmissable Swan Valley experience.
- Wine Variety:Brut,Cabernet,Cabernet Franc,Cabernet Sauvignon,Petit Verdot,Pinot Gris,Tawny,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Semillon,Shiraz,Shiraz Cabernet,Sparkling Rose,Sparkling Shiraz,Tempranillo,Verdelho,Viognier,Cabernet Shiraz,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Chenin Verdelho,Classic Dry White,Gewurztraminer,Grenache,Grenache Shiraz,Malbec,Merlot,Method Traditionale,Muscat,Sparkling,Fortified,Rosé,Dessert
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Open Days/times:Cellar Door: Mon to Sun 10am to 5pm, restaurant: Mon - Tue 10am to 5pm, Wed - Sun 10am to 5pm
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Restaurant
- Lunch Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Vineyards:24 acre
- Winemaker:Anthony Yurisich
- Size & Year:Established 1800 - 1850
The Olive Farm property dates back to 1829 and was established by an English botanist named Thomas Waters who brought grapevine cuttings and olive trees with him when he settled in Perth. He planted the olive trees first, hence the name, but wine was soon produced, with the first vintage in 1834. (Much of which became currency for bartering with the local shopkeepers!)
In 1933, Ivan Yurisich purchased the property. He had immigrated from Yugoslavia at the turn of the century and after working in the Goldfields and outback of WA, decided to try his hand at winemaking. The property has remained in the family for four generations.
Historically, The Olive Farm made fortified wines which were sold by the cask to the Goldfields in Western Australia. The winery become one of the first in WA to produce Traditional Method Sparkling wines back in the 1960s. These remain a core of range which is now named ‘Olivine’.
Still table wines were introduced in the 1970s and achieved great success in the local wine shows. The current range is diverse, with over 35 sweet to dry white, red, sparkling and fortified wines. There are all the Swan Valley classics, along with some other surprise varieties like Tempranillo, Traminer, Durif and Cabernet Franc.
The Yurisich family built their ‘dream’ winery and cellar door in 2007. It is set on a 24-acre property in the heart of the Swan Valley and has received significant awards for its architecture and interior design. Visitors are welcome to sample from the full range of wines, with tastings available 10am – 5pm daily. A walking tour of the vineyard and winery can be booked in advance, it begins at 10.30am.
Unique Highlights: The Cheese
Taste and graze from a selection of over 75+ different international and local benchmark cheeses at the family’s Cheese Barrel Café. Just metres from the cellar door, this architecturally-designed gem of a property is a place of wine and cheese-lovers’ dreams. The all-day menu is both flexible and generous, with cheeseboards starting from $35-$40. Free cheese tastings are available too. They are best experienced between 10am and 1pm before it gets too busy. Families, children and even dogs are welcome.
The Cheese Barrel Café is open 10am – 5pm Monday and Tuesday, and 10am-5pm Wednesday to Sunday.
- [email protected]
- (08) 9571 8800
Enjoy light meals, hampers and an expansive collection of red and whites at the cosy cellar door in this state-of-the-art winery in Lower Chittering Valley.
- Wine Region:Perth Hills
- Wine Variety:Dessert,Sparkling,Cabernet Shiraz,Chenin Blanc,Chenin Verdelho,Grenache,Malbec,Shiraz,Verdelho,Viognier,Cabernet,Chardonnay,Muscat,Sauvignon Blanc
- Vineyards:125 hectares
- Winemaker:Israel De Brito
- Facilities:Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Established 2001 - 2010,Small (5,000-49,999 cases)
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Perth Hills:Chittering Valley
- Cases Produced:25,000 cases
- Lunch Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
Established in 2000, Western Range Wines is an award-winning winery situated within the picturesque Chittering Valley. Just under an hour northeast of Perth, the Chittering Valley is far-removed from the hustle and bustle of the city. The region’s topography is responsible for a number of microclimates suitable for different grape varieties. The climate is typically Mediterranean with cool, wet winters, ideal for retaining acid structure and flavour.
The hillside location and modern vinification equipment allows for efficient and gentle handling, respecting the varietal characteristics of the grapes. Minimal winemaking handling techniques are employed to enhance freshness and character of the aromatic white varieties. In contrast, traditional winemaking techniques are employed on red varieties, with open fermenters and barrel aging to produce elegant, modern expressions of each variety. Western Range Wines are currently exported into Canada, China, France, Poland, Russia and Japan.
The current Cellar Door facility is an original weatherboard building, which has been converted into a cosy tasting room and sales area. Light meals, snacks and hampers are available whilst enjoying well informed wine tastings.
5 Red Stars