Shiraz Cabernet Wine Variety Wineries in Perth and Surrounds
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Wineries in Perth And Surrounds
The Calneggia Family Vineyard produces an extensive range of fruit-driven wines with an uncompromised commitment to quality.
- Open Days/times:Mon to Fri 8:30am to 5pm
- Wine Region:Margaret River
- Wine Variety:Cabernet Merlot,Chardonnay Semillon,Pinot Gris,Rose,Sauvignon Blanc,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Shiraz Cabernet,Sparkling,Tempranillo,Prosecco
- Brands:Rosabrook, Bunkers, Calneggia, Bramble Lane, Brian Fletcher Signature Wine
- Winemaker:Brian Fletcher
- Facilities:No Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000
- Breakfast Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
- Lunch Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
The Calneggia family have owned vineyards in the Margaret River region for over twenty five years.
Italian for 'two jokers', stop by this quaint, owner-operated and off the beaten track winery for tasty seasonal platters and cakes plus a tipple of wine from its European inspired range.
- Open Days/times:Sat & Sun 11am - 5pm
- Wine Region:Perth Hills
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Shiraz,Shiraz Cabernet,Vermentino
- Winemaker:Rob Puglisi
- Size & Year:Established 2001 - 2010
- Facilities:Cellar Door
- Cellar Door Open:Saturday,Sunday
- Perth Hills:Heart of the Hills
- Brands:Due Jolly Wines
Strongly influenced by European winemaking practices, Due Jolly (Italian for ‘two jokers’) commenced in 2006 as a humble winery situated in buildings formerly used for fruit packing. The ‘jokers’ of the winery; Rob Puglisi, Andrew Cutten and Paul Henharen, believe in rustic (but proven) traditional methods to produce food-friendly wines for all to enjoy.
The winery relies upon friendships with owners of small vineyards located throughout the South West, to select grape varieties that have been grown in the most ideal climates. Varieties include Vermentino, Chardonnay, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Open on weekends, taste the range (often with the winemakers), or feast on seasonal charcuterie platters, cakes and more along with a glass of Due Jolly wine.
- [email protected]
- 08 9296 4539
The heritage of WA’s oldest winery, four-generations of family ownership and the ‘dream’ cellar door including a decadent cheese emporium, makes for one unmissable Swan Valley experience.
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Rose,Dessert,Sparkling,Shiraz Cabernet,Sparkling Rose,Sparkling Shiraz,Tempranillo,Verdelho,Viognier,Muscat,Petit Verdot,Pinot Gris,Port,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Semillon,Shiraz,Classic Dry White,Gewurztraminer,Grenache,Grenache Shiraz,Malbec,Merlot,Method Traditionale,Brut,Cabernet,Cabernet Franc,Cabernet Sauvignon,Cabernet Shiraz,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Chenin Verdelho
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Open Days/times:Cellar Door: Mon to Sun 10am to 5pm, restaurant: Mon - Tue 10am to 5pm, Wed - Sun 10am to 5pm
- Vineyards:24 acre
- Lunch Open:Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Monday
- Winemaker:Anthony Yurisich
- Size & Year:Established 1800 - 1850
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Restaurant
The Olive Farm property dates back to 1829 and was established by an English botanist named Thomas Waters who brought grapevine cuttings and olive trees with him when he settled in Perth. He planted the olive trees first, hence the name, but wine was soon produced, with the first vintage in 1834. (Much of which became currency for bartering with the local shopkeepers!)
In 1933, Ivan Yurisich purchased the property. He had immigrated from Yugoslavia at the turn of the century and after working in the Goldfields and outback of WA, decided to try his hand at winemaking. The property has remained in the family for four generations.
Historically, The Olive Farm made fortified wines which were sold by the cask to the Goldfields in Western Australia. The winery become one of the first in WA to produce Traditional Method Sparkling wines back in the 1960s. These remain a core of range which is now named ‘Olivine’.
Still table wines were introduced in the 1970s and achieved great success in the local wine shows. The current range is diverse, with over 35 sweet to dry white, red, sparkling and fortified wines. There are all the Swan Valley classics, along with some other surprise varieties like Tempranillo, Traminer, Durif and Cabernet Franc.
The Yurisich family built their ‘dream’ winery and cellar door in 2007. It is set on a 24-acre property in the heart of the Swan Valley and has received significant awards for its architecture and interior design. Visitors are welcome to sample from the full range of wines, with tastings available 10am – 5pm daily. A walking tour of the vineyard and winery can be booked in advance, it begins at 10.30am.
Unique Highlights: The Cheese
Taste and graze from a selection of over 75+ different international and local benchmark cheeses at the family’s Cheese Barrel Café. Just metres from the cellar door, this architecturally-designed gem of a property is a place of wine and cheese-lovers’ dreams. The all-day menu is both flexible and generous, with cheeseboards starting from $35-$40. Free cheese tastings are available too. They are best experienced between 10am and 1pm before it gets too busy. Families, children and even dogs are welcome.
The Cheese Barrel Café is open 10am – 5pm Monday and Tuesday, and 10am-5pm Wednesday to Sunday.
Experience the history of the oldest winery within the Peel Region through its colonial-style cellar door, creative wines and family-friendly surrounds with regular live music events.
- Wine Variety:Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Shiraz,Verdelho,Cabernet Shiraz,Method Traditionale,Port,Zinfandel,Fortified,Shiraz Cabernet,Rose,Sparkling
- Open Days/times:7 Days a Week 10am to 5pm (Closed Christmas Day and Good Friday)
- Wine Region:Peel
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Cases Produced:4000
- Facilities:Picnic Facilities,BBQ Facilities,Functions,Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
An integral part of the Peel Region for over 40 years, the first vines at Peel Estate were planted in 1973. Owned and operated by Will Nairn, the winery features 12 acres of vines, and its unique coastal limestone soils and high-water table provide ideal viticulture conditions. Wines at Peel Estate are made onsite in the original architect-designed colonial style brick and timber winery, that visitors can observe from the rustic mezzanine tasting area. The winery Is surrounded by magnificent Tuart trees.
Established in 1973 by Will Nairn, Shiraz was the first variety planted followed by Chenin Blanc and Zinfandel in 1976 and Cabernet Sauvignon in 1979. Today, the extensive range also includes Verdelho, Chardonnay, Rose, Sparkling and Fortifieds.
Open daily from 10am-5pm, enjoy a wine tasting in the charming, rustic cellar door that overlooks the winemaking floor. Bring along a picnic and enjoy your favourite Peel Estate wine in the beautiful picnic grounds under the Tuart trees. During harvest in late-summer, lucky visitors may get to see grapes being crushed and pressed along with red wines fermenting.
From October to April, Peel Estate presents their popular Summer Music Series featuring a variety of family-friendly music days.
One of Australia’s oldest and largest family-owned wineries, Sandalford is an immaculate property and local icon, boasting a grand cellar door, highly-acclaimed restaurant and famous wine cruise.
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Wine Variety:Cabernet Merlot,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Classic Dry White,Merlot,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Shiraz,Shiraz Cabernet,Verdelho,Dessert,Fortified,Sparkling,Botrytis Semillon,Merlot Blend,Sauvignon Blanc,Syrah,Viognier,Rose
- Open Days/times:Cellar door: 10am to 5pm daily. Restaurant: 12pm to 2:45pm daily.
- Facilities:Functions,Cellar Door,Restaurant,Dogs Welcome
- Lunch Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Vineyards:4000 acres
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Size & Year:Medium (50,000-499,999 cases),Established 1800 - 1850
- Cases Produced:60000 cases
Sandalford has been making superb West Australian wines for over 175 years. The primary property is the grand Swan Valley estate and offers an array of tours, courses and food & wine experiences. There is also the cellar in Margaret River, surrounded by beautiful, country gardens, vines and native forest.
A Notable History
Sandalford was established in 1840 in the early days of the Perth colony’s settlement. The property was granted to WA’s first Surveyor General John Septimus Roe by Queen Victoria, to honour his 57 years of Service to the Commonwealth. He named it Sandalford after a priory in his original home of Birkshire, England.
The property had a diverse agricultural history and originally thrived growing table grapes, which became a lucrative export. Winemaking accelerated after World War II with a growing community of Croatian and Italian migrants bringing their extensive knowledge and wine-making techniques to the young Swan Valley wine industry. In 1970 the Roe family expanded to Margaret River, planting a vineyard on prime land in Wilyabrup.
In 1990, Sandalford was acquired by the Prendiville family, who own a portfolio of iconic tourism and hospitality establishments around WA. The Prendiville’s have invested significantly in the brand, the wines and the impressive estate.
Sandalford makes five ranges of wines from its vineyards in the Swan Valley and Margaret River. There are over 25 wines, including sparkling, red, white, dessert and fortified wines. The winery incorporates the state-of-the-art-technology, while retaining winemaking traditions, such as small batch fruit processing and using the best quality French and American oak.
The entire Sandalford wine range (and often other special wines) can be tasted at their Swan Valley and Margaret River estates. The grand Swan Valley cellar door is one of the largest in Western Australia and is open daily from 10am to 5pm.
Tour / Cruise
Have you ever travelled to Sandalford Estate, Swan Valley by river boat? Perth’s Famous Wine Cruise with Captain Cook Cruises is the ultimate way to reach our vineyard. Cruise into the picturesque upper reaches of the Swan Valley as you sample fine wines from the Swan Valley before disembarking at Sandalford Estate’s private jetty for an exclusive behind the scenes tour, video presentation and Flight of Wines wine tasting. A gourmet 2 course lunch is presented onsite before a dessert buffet and afternoon tea is served back on board the vessel. Live entertainment follows as you enjoy complimentary wine on the return cruise.
The multi-award-winning Restaurant has a rustic ambience of limestone, wood and a grand open fireplace, and alfresco encased by 125-year-old vines and vast vineyard views. The a la carte menu showcases fresh regional produce sourced from around WA, including Abrohlos Island Scallops, Rottnest Island Tuna, Cone Bay Barramundi, Linley Valley Lamb and Blackwood Valley Beef. Look out for a special selection of rare museum wines that can be enjoyed with meals. Open daily for lunch from midday.
Sandalford’s Winemaker Apprenticeship takes place on Saturdays and is another once-in-a-lifetime experience. A winery tour teaches the theory to prepare for the practical exam of wine blending. It’s the chance to get creative and make your own original WA wine. The process is endlessly entertaining and informative too. Sandalford experts judge all of the blends, then the whole tour group get to share them over lunch.
5 Red Stars