Thursday Lunch Open Wineries in Mount Barker
Wineries in Mount Barker Porongurup Region
- [email protected]
- (08) 9851 3111
Taste exemplary Mount Barker wines at the classic mud brick cellar door and café of this regional hero estate and WA winemaking pioneer, located 30 minutes from Albany.
- Wine Variety:Sparkling,Fortified,Cabernet Merlot,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Pinot Noir,Riesling,Rosé,Brut,Sauvignon Blanc,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Semillon Sauvignon Blanc,Tempranillo,Shiraz
- Wine Region:Great Southern
- Vineyards:130 hectares
- Size & Year:Small (5,000-49,999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
- Lunch Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Great Southern:Mount Barker
- Cases Produced:25000
- Cellar Door Open:Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday
- Facilities:Restaurant,Cellar Door
A regional pioneer, Plantagenet Wines was planted with Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz vines in 1968 by founder Tony Smith. The first wines were made in 1974 and showed great potential, encouraging Tony to convert a local apple packing shed into a winery and keep making what are now regarded amongst Australia’s most respected examples of Cabernet and Shiraz. Subsequent vineyards were planted, and fruit now comes from five estate-owned properties around the Mount Barker area.
Western Australia’s oldest family business Lionel Samson & Son acquired Plantagenet in 1999 and the estate continues to grow from strength to strength, with an international reputation for its Rieslings, Chardonnays, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon.
The mudbrick and timber cellar door, surrounded by stunning garden and historic vines make a beautiful setting in which to explore the Plantagenet wine range. Wines can be tasted daily between 10.30am – 4pm.
Alongside the cellar door is ‘The Shed’, Plantagenet’s café, serving lunch daily. The menu is a unique blend of contemporary and casual, with hearty dishes that pair with the wines. Dining can be enjoyed from the alfresco deck, or beside the fireplace in winter.
5 Red Stars