Monday Cellar Door Open Wineries in Herne Hill
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Wineries in Herne Hill
Visit the Kafarela family at this quaint winery specialising in non-alcoholic wines, liqueurs and fresh seasonal produce utilising modern, biodynamic-growing principles.
- Open Days/times:Monday to Saturday 10am - 5pm
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Vineyards:7 hectares
- Facilities:Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Established 1901 - 1950
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday
The Kafarela family have been growing grapes and seasonal produce on their 7 hectare property since 1944. Specialising in non-alcoholic wines, liqueurs and seasonal produce using biodynamic-growing principles, the vineyard is situated in the heart of the Swan Valley.
Stop by the cellar door to pick up a fresh bag of grapes, a jar of homemade jam or a free tasting of the estate's non-alcoholic Patritti grape juice. Open Monday to Saturday 10am - 5pm.
Kafarela's Vineyard is also home to the largest doll and quilt collection in the Swan Valley, and its craft shed offers dolls, bears, baby quilts and other lovingly made items.
Discover some of Australia’s finest, internationally-awarded fortified wines and liquors at the homely cellar door of this three-generation winemaking family.
- Wine Variety:Graciano,Port,Rose,Ruby Port,Shiraz,Verdelho,Dessert,Fortified,Muscat,Semillon
- Open Days/times:Cellar door: Everyday except Tue 10:30am to 4:30pm. Open public holidays.
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Winemaker:James and Hilda Talijancich
- Size & Year:Established 1901 - 1950,Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases)
- Wheelchair Access:Ramps and walkways link the car park and facilities. Wheelchair accessible bathrooms.
- Facilities:Wheelchair Access,Cellar Door
- Cellar Door Open:Holidays,Sunday,Monday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday
Croatian-born Jim Talijancich and his wife Ljucibica purchased this Swan Valley property in 1932 and began making fortified wine from Muscat and Shiraz. Times were tough in those early years and were made tougher upon Jim’s passing, when son Peter was just 13 years old. Peter ceased schooling immediately to work with his mother on the vineyard, the horse and plough becoming one of his new regular tasks. Peter led all operations and winemaking for over 50 years until he passed Talijancich onto son his James and wife Hilda in 1998.
Talijancich has a long-term reputation as a fortified wine specialist. Their range includes a 30 Year Old Rare Tawny, Muscat and Pedro Ximenes Liqueur. There is also a selection of still red and white wines including a beautiful Verdelho and an old-vine Shiraz. The vineyard follows bio-dynamic, organic principles.
The cellar door is located in their converted winery homestead, offering a relaxed setting with lovely views. It is open from 10.30am to 4.30pm all days, except Tuesday.
4 Black Stars