Wineries in Wheatbelt
Wineries in Farmstay Country
Share wine, cheese and a chat with Rex and Jan Hayes, a couple determined to realise Narrogin’s potential as a wine growing destination and have a cabinet full of Wheatbelt wine awards to prove it!
- Open Days/times:Friday - Monday 11am and 5pm or by appointment.
- Wine Variety:Sparkling,Fortified,Chenin Blanc,Semillon,Shiraz,Cabernet Sauvignon,Muscat,Tempranillo,Zinfandel
- Wine Region:Central WA
- Cases Produced:Less than 999
- Vineyards:5.3 Hectares
- Facilities:Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Micro (1-999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
Founded by Rex and Jan Hayes in 1997, Downderry vines grow on what was a working farm for many years. Originally the co-owner of Narrogin's local liquour store, Rex has always had a passion for the perfect drop and a determination to prove the well-matured loam and gravel over clay soils on his property could host healthy vines. The harvest season is truly a community affair at Downderry, with several local charities and sporting groups contributing to grape-picking.
The wines are made by Wine Society's Young Winemaker of the Year in 2013, Coby Ladwig of Rockcliffe's Wines.
Varieties include an earthy Shiraz, Rose, Moscato, Sparkling and an award-winning Zinfandel. Downderry Wines has won more than 20 medals and trophies in the Wandering Wheatbelt Wine Awards.
Enjoy teas and coffees alongside generous wine and cheese tastings at this quaint, family-friendly cellar door operated by the estate's friendly owners (and a handful of cuddly sheep and alpacas for kids to enjoy). Open Friday to Monday 11am - 5pm.
Caravaners are welcome to stay overnight on the grass for $5 a night (fee waived with the purchase of wine!)
Enjoy award-winning, single-vineyard organic and biodynamic wines from a rustic rammed- earth cellar door and art gallery surrounded by peaceful gardens and overlooking the Hotham Valley.
- Wine Variety:Botrytis Semillon,Cabernet Franc,Cabernet Merlot,Cabernet Sauvignon,Semillon,Shiraz,Tempranillo,Zinfandel,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Merlot,Tawny,Riesling,Sangiovese,Fortified,Rosé,Dessert
- Wine Region:Central WA
- Open Days/times:Weekends and Public Holidays 12pm-5pm
- Cellar Door Open:Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Facilities:Accommodation,Cellar Door,Functions,BBQ Facilities,Light Food,Picnic Facilities,Restaurant
- Dinner Open:Saturday
- Lunch Open:Saturday
- Size & Year:Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
- Cases Produced:3000
- Winemaker:Wouter Denig
Formerly Hotham Valley Estate, the vineyard was planted in 1988. Current owners Leonard Bruin and Wouter Denig converted the operation to follow strict organic and biodynamic practices in 2002. Situated at an altitude of 350 metres, the vineyards enjoy ideal growing conditions of hot summers and cool winters, evident in the wines which combine elegance, structure and vibrant fruit characters.
Hotham Ridge has won over 30 different medals and 11 trophies from various Australian wine shows since 2003.
Varieties include Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Riesling, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Shiraz, Tempranillo, Verdelho and Zinfandel. A Mistelle white port or Shiraz port are also available in winter.
Open from Friday-Sunday 11am-3pm, the rustic cellar door offers a stunning environment to discover the wines and learn about organic and biodynamic winemaking principles.
Check out the large rammed-earth barrel room that has been transformed into an art gallery with an industrial style. Ten different exhibitions are shown each year. Two self catered cottages are available in the Hotham Ridge property too.
Moondah Brook has no cellar door, but strives to produce youthful, crisp, fruit-driven wines with a distinctive flavour, due to much of the fruit being drawn from outside the region.
- Wine Variety:Dessert,Sparkling,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Classic Dry White,Merlot,Rosé,Shiraz,Verdelho
- Wine Region:Swan District
- Facilities:No Cellar Door
Part of the Accolade Wines Group, Moondah Brook wines are vibrant, fresh and inexpensive and have a distinctive flavor as they draw part of the fruit from the Gingin vineyard north of the Swan Valley and also from Margaret River and Great Southern.
Moondah Brook is known for two popular wines. The Verdelho has an intense aroma of tropical fruits, citrus, florals and hints of musk and orange blossom. The deep Cabernet Sauvignon has a brilliant purple colour and has an intense fragrance of red berries and a hint of spearmint.
Enjoy award-winning Wheatbelt wine and homely, country café dining at this quaint and friendly, rammed-earth and timber cellar door just 1.5 hours south-east of Perth.
- Open Days/times:Cellar door & cafe' open Fri-Sun
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Cabernet Sauvignon,Merlot,Semillon,Shiraz,Vermentino
- Wine Region:Peel
- Vineyards:5.5 hectares
- Winemaker:Reuben Steer
- Cellar Door Open:Sunday,Friday,Saturday
- Lunch Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Facilities:Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000
Tanglefoot is a family owned and operated vineyard located in Wandering, 1.5 hours south-east of Perth. The vines are over 20 years old and grape varieties grown include Semillon, Zinfandel Tintacao, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Primivito and Merlot. All available to purchase by the glass or bottle at the cellar door.
The rammed-earth cellar door is a highlight in itself, utilising local timbers, Jarrah, Sheoak and Salmon Gum for a homely, country ambience. Drop-in wine tastings are available, or stay a while and enjoy a delightful morning tea, afternoon tea and lunch at Tanglefoot’s Cafe . Open Friday to Sunday 10am - 5pm.