Dessert Wine Variety Wineries in Donnybrook / Capel
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Wineries in Donnybrook Capel
Set amid the rolling hills of Glen Mervyn in the scenic Preston Valley, majestic, centuries old Blackbutt trees flank the entrance to this husband and wife run winery and cellar door.
- Wine Variety:Cabernet,Cabernet Shiraz,Muscat,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Dessert,Fortified,Riesling,Shiraz,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Zinfandel
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Open Days/times:7 days 11am to 5pm
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Dogs Welcome
- Vineyards:4.2 hectares
- Winemaker:Peter Stanlake, John Griffiths
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000,Micro (1-999 cases)
- Cases Produced:600
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
Bernice and Tony O’Connell planted their first vines in 1997 on the site of an old blue gum plantation on a farm that had been in the same family since the 1890s.
All wine is made from the estate’s 4.2 hectare vineyard and includes Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Durif, Chardonnay, Riesling, Moscato, Port and Muscat Liqueur. The family philosophy is hands on in the vineyard and minimal intervention in the winemaking. which allows the fruit to express itself in the bottle. Mandalay Estate has won a number of awards over the years including a four-star rating by James Halliday in the 2014 wine companion and Best Cabernet Sauvignon in the 2017 Geographe wine show. The cellar door is open 7 days a week 11am to 5pm. Always a good idea to phone first 97 322006.
- [email protected]
- (08) 9731 7141
Gourmet Traveller’s Best Small Cellar Door, Geographe (2014 and 2016) making hand crafted boutique wines, craft beers, delicious tasting platters and pizzas at their cellar door west of Donnybrook.
- Wine Variety:Cabernet,Nero D'avola,Rose,Fortified,Dessert,Method Traditionale,Port,Malbec,Muscat a Petits Grains Rosa,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Sparkling,Vermentino,Cabernet Merlot,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Merlot,Sauvignon Blanc,Shiraz
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Open Days/times:By Appointment Only for the near future - call 08 97317141
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Functions,Wheelchair Access,Light Food,Dogs Welcome
- Vineyards:2 hectares
- Winemaker:Tony Davis
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000,Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases)
- Cases Produced:1500
- Wheelchair Access:Yes
Three generations of the Hammond family have toiled together to create the vineyards of Oakway Estate within the Geographe Wine Region. Owners Wayne and Ria planted their vines in 1997, and following success with winemaking, the former orchard farm now supports a boutique winery and cellar door, nano brewery, vineyard, a plantation of sustainable blue gum trees and beef cattle.
Oakway Estate takes a very hands-on and natural approach to vineyard management to carefully monitor vine vigour and growth, undertaking labour-intensive tasks including fruit thinning and leaf plucking to grow superb quality grapes.
Varieties include Sauvignon Blanc (and blends), Chardonnay, Vermentino, Nero D'avola, Malbec, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Old School Liqueur and a delicously sweet Moscato.
Enjoy sampling our wines, or stay longer and purchase a glass or bottle of wine to savour whilst overlooking our changing vineyard vista throughout the seasons. If you prefer beer, try our own craft beers on tap. Open weekends and most public holidays from 11am - 5pm.
Oakway's cellar door cafe features gourmet bespoke pizzas, dukkah with olive oils and bread, and antipasto platters designed to complement the Estate wines. A selection of craft beers and ciders are available too.
A calendar of Long Table Lunches prepared by local guest chefs to showcase WA’s excellent local produce is scheduled throughout the year. Bookings essential.
4 and half Stars