Zinfandel Wine Variety Wineries in Donnybrook / Capel
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Wineries in Donnybrook Capel
Located in country town Donnybrook, 40km South East of Bunbury, Barreca’s is family owned and operated, offering varieties of Shiraz, Barbera, Malbec, Zinfandel and Sangiovese.
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Barbera,Cabernet Merlot,Chardonnay,Grenache,Malbec,Pinotage,Port,Sangiovese,Semillon Sauvignon Blanc,Shiraz,Viognier,Zinfandel
- Open Days/times:Cellar door: Fri to Mon 10am to 5pm
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Facilities:Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000,Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases)
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday
- Vineyards:46 hectares
- Winemaker:Iolanda Ratcliffe
After a work trip to his family's homeland of Italy in the early 1990s Fil Barreca, aged just 21, discovered his intrinsic connection to working in a vineyard and growing grapes on a highly innovative Sicilian winery. He took inspiration and passion back to Donnybrook and begun planting vines immediately establishing the winery in 1994.
With 46 hectares under vine the predominant varieties include Shiraz, cult favourite Barbera, Shiraz Malbec, Zinfandel, Sangiovese and many more.
The sparkling and fortified wines are proudly 100% estate bottled, including the Estate’s premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil which is produced from the Estates premium olive plantation.
Set amid the rolling hills of Glen Mervyn in the scenic Preston Valley, majestic, centuries old Blackbutt trees flank the entrance to this husband and wife run winery and cellar door.
- Wine Variety:Shiraz,Cabernet,Cabernet Shiraz,Muscat,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Dessert,Fortified,Riesling,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Zinfandel
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Open Days/times:7 days 11am to 5pm
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Dogs Welcome
- Vineyards:4.2 hectares
- Winemaker:Peter Stanlake, John Griffiths
- Size & Year:Established 1951 - 2000,Micro (1-999 cases)
- Cases Produced:600
- Cellar Door Open:Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays,Monday
Bernice and Tony O’Connell planted their first vines in 1997 on the site of an old blue gum plantation on a farm that had been in the same family since the 1890s.
All wine is made from the estate’s 4.2 hectare vineyard and includes Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Durif, Chardonnay, Riesling, Moscato, Port and Muscat Liqueur. The family philosophy is hands on in the vineyard and minimal intervention in the winemaking. which allows the fruit to express itself in the bottle. Mandalay Estate has won a number of awards over the years including a four-star rating by James Halliday in the 2014 wine companion and Best Cabernet Sauvignon in the 2017 Geographe wine show. The cellar door is open 7 days a week 11am to 5pm. Always a good idea to phone first 97 322006.
Visit one of Geographe region’s most awarded boutique wineries, featuring a quaint restaurant serving fresh, estate-grown marron and local produce to complement their distinct premium wines.
- Wine Variety:Rose,Fortified,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Shiraz,Zinfandel,Cabernet,Chardonnay Semillon,Classic Dry White,Shiraz Cabernet
- Open Days/times:Friday, Saturday, Sunday 10am-4pm
- Wine Region:Geographe
- Brands:Smallwater Estate
- Cases Produced:1,500-2,499
- Vineyards:5 hectares
- Winemaker:Bruce Dukes
- Facilities:Cellar Door,Dogs Welcome,Functions,Kids Play Area,Wheelchair Access
- Size & Year:Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
- Cellar Door Open:Saturday,Sunday
- Wheelchair Access:Yes
Nestled on the hillside of Newlands just south of Donnybrook, Smallwater Estate was purchased by John Small in 1993 with the intention of developing a marron farm and a vineyard to grow contract grapes. For ten years the grapes were supplied to established wineries, with Smallwater wine (a tiny parcel of Zinfandel) made in 2006.
The near-perfect Mediterranean climate of the Geographe region is ideally suited to growing quality grapes. The estate's abundance of pure, fresh water and sunny days also permit for the estate's production of award-winning wines that are characteristic of the area.
Varieties include unwooded and barrel-fermented Chardonnays, Rose made from Zinfandel, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and a Vintage Port.
Just 15 minutes drive south of Donnybrook, enjoy tastings of the dynamic, estate-grown wines, set with views of the vineyard, marron dams and hillsides of Newlands at the Smallwater cellar door. Open Saturday 11am - 4pm Sunday
The Restaurant and Deck area are perfect for event and venue hire, and we can arrange catering for weddings, parties or just group bookings.