Sparkling Wine Variety Wineries in Carmel
Wineries in Carmel
- [email protected]
- (08) 9293 5567
Enjoy Spanish and Portuguese style wines and gourmet cheese at this youthful family winery with serious agricultural pedigree at their modern cellar door in the Bickley Valley, 30 minutes from Perth.
- Wine Variety:Cabernet Sauvignon,Muscat,Petit Verdot,Tempranillo,Verdelho,Merlot,Shiraz,Sparkling,Fortified
- Wine Region:Perth Hills
- Open Days/times:Fri to Sun 11am to 5pm
- Perth Hills:Bickley Valley
- Facilities:Cellar Door
- Cases Produced:2000 cases
- Winemaker:Josh and Rachael Davenport, Josh Uren
- Size & Year:Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases),Established 2001 - 2010
- Cellar Door Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Lunch Open:Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
Myattsfield owner Josh Davenport is a descendant of Joseph Myatt, who popularised and became Britain's leading producer of rhubarb in 1840. Josh converted his family farm to a vineyard in the late 1990s. After working at various wineries around the world, Josh returned home, met Rachel and together they built a winery at Myattsfield in 2006 and made their first wines in 2007. The Myattsfield Estate encompasses two vineyards and a 40 tonne winery in the picturesque Bickley and Carmel Valleys of the Perth Hills wine region.
Drawing on similarities in climate between the Bickley Valley and inland areas of Spain and Portugal, Myattsfield varieties include Verdelho, Mourvedre, Touriga, Brown Muscat and Durif (of which Myattsfield has notably planted the first variety in WA), alongside more traditional Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot varieties.
Myattsfield's classic corrugated iron cellar door surrounded with gum trees is open Friday to Sunday all year to taste a variety of wines often served by the vineyard's winemakers. Wine can also be purchased by the glass with a selection of gourmet cheeses to enjoy on the shaded verandah.