Art Galleries & Museums in Blackwood River Valley
Discover what's going on in arts, events & culture
Check out travel guides for regional WA
Explore winery guides for Perth and regional WA
Galleries in Blackwood
Overlooking the beautiful Blackwood River Valley, newly opened 1 Riverview is the Painting Studio and Display Gallery of Australian Landscape Artist Michael Hodgkins.
- Open Days/times:Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays: 11am - 4.00pm Other times by appointment
- Represented Artists:Michael Hodgkins, George Hodgkins
- Galleries:Drawing,Painting,Mixed Media,Art Gallery,Artist Studio
- Wheelchair Access:Sorry, we have some steps and no ramps.
- Open Days:Saturday,Sunday,Public Holidays
A unique experience, come and visit the only public jigsaw gallery in the Southern Hemisphere. The collection was started by Jessie Brierley over 40 years ago, and has been continually expanded.
- Open Days/times:Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm, Saturday 10am - 3pm, Sun & Public Holidays 10am - 1pm
- Galleries:Mixed Media,Art Gallery
- Open Days:Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Public Holidays
The Brierley Jigsaw Gallery located in the beautiful historic town of Bridgetown, has a unique place in the attractions of the South West. Started over 60 years ago by Mrs Jessie Brierley, the jigsaws were placed in the lounge for the amusements of her guests - rather than drinking in the bar! The original collection of 60 mounted jigsaw puzzles was presented to the Bridgetown community by Mrs Brierley. The collection continues to expand through gifts from visitors, including the World's Smallest Wooden Jigsaw. Donations are used to maintain the existing collection and to mount new pieces as they become available. In 2001, many jigsaws were professionally framed and hung. Lighting improvements were made and the gallery has taken on a new lease of life with visitors from all over the world who have heard of our unique attraction.
The Greenbushes Discovery Centre tells the story of human involvement with the environment.
- Open Days/times:Open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday 10am - 2pm
- Museums:Farming,Local History,Mining,Science
- Open Days:Wednesday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
It houses interactive displays and unique games set in various themes namely Mining, Timber Milling, Community and Agriculture, all under the umbrella of 'The Land'. Open 10am to 2pm Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Experience the "Discovery Forest" interactive timber display or explore the "Discovery Decline" replica underground tunnel. Take a walk on the suite of walk trails and experience the natural environment and history of the area.
Take a walk along the "Heritage Amble" walk trail and play the Game, visiting the many historic sites identified along Blackwood Road. Enjoy the Heritage Amble as you take the journey in the footsteps of a fictional Greenbushes character as you play the Game.
The Centre is open for ad hoc tours or group tours, by prior arrangement, and provides a comfortable and relaxing venue for tour groups to stop and allow travellers to stretch their legs. The Discovery Centre is located at 38 Blackwood Road in Greenbushes, opposite the Heritage Park and is open Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 2pm or by prior arangement. Phone (08) 9764 3883.
Volunteers from the local community, who have an enormous amount of history to share, operate the Centre.
Country music fans will be in heaven here! See memorabilia of days gone by and browse in the large record room, devoted to Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley.
- Museums:Farming,Local History,Other
Naturally Elvis features largely in the memorabilia collection.
Nannup Arts Council Inc. provides education, encouragement, promotion and sponsorship for Nannup and regional artists.
- Galleries:Painting,Pottery,Sculpture,Textiles,Aboriginal,Mixed Media,Woodwork,Art Gallery,Drawing,Installation
The Nannup Arts Council Inc. has been a fully incorporated entity since 1987. It was formed to;
- provide education, encouragement, promotion and sponsorship for Nannup and regional artists.
- unleash the creative potential of all members of the community including children.
- provide a structure whereby community members with creative initiatives can put their ideas into action
The Nannup Arts Council is willing to support cultural activities such as Performing Arts, Art Exhibitions, Workshops, Concerts, Touring Exhibitions, Musical Performances and Films, as well as supporting the Art Programme at the Nannup District High School.
The Nannup Historical Society collects, classifies and preserves records relating to the history of Nannup and surrounding districts
- Open Days/times:Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings
- Museums:Local History
- Open Days:Monday,Wednesday,Friday
The headquarters are open to the public Monday , Wednesday and Friday mornings displaying on a rotating basis some 2,500 photographs from the turn of the twentieth century to current times together with extensive archives covering Nannup district history such as the timber industry, electoral rolls from 1901, World War I and II enlistments, Police station staffing, old telephone and post office directories, burials at Nannup cemetery, family histories, plus memorabilia and artefacts.
After 15 years in Fremantle, Phil's Woodwork Shop is now located in the heart of the South West with a new identity. The Nannup Furniture Gallery offers a range of quality hand crafted furniture that is limited only by the imagination…
- Galleries:Furniture,Art Gallery
- Open Days/times:Monday and Thursday 10am - 5pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am - 4pm
- Open Days:Monday,Thursday,Saturday,Sunday