Established 1800 - 1850 Size & Year Wineries in South West
Wineries in Australias South West
One of Australia’s oldest and largest family-owned wineries, the Margaret River rammed-earth cellar door is surrounded by beautiful, country gardens, vines and native forest.
- Open Days/times:Cellar door: 10am to 5pm daily. Restaurant: 12pm to 2:45pm daily.
- Wine Region:Margaret River
- Wine Variety:Syrah,Verdelho,Viognier,Merlot Blend,Rosé,Sauvignon Blanc,Sauvignon Blanc Semillon,Shiraz,Shiraz Cabernet,Sparkling,Fortified,Dessert,Botrytis Semillon,Cabernet Merlot,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Classic Dry White,Merlot
- Brands:Margaret River Range, Estate Reserve, Prendiville Reserve, Element Range
- Cases Produced:60000 Cases
- Winemaker:Hope Metcalf
- Cellar Door Open:Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Monday
- Margaret River:Wilyabrup
- Facilities:Dogs Welcome,Cellar Door,Picnic Facilities,BBQ Facilities
- Size & Year:Medium (50,000-499,999 cases),Established 1800 - 1850
Sandalford has been making superb West Australian wines for over 175 years. While the primary property is in the Swan Valley, the Margaret River cellar door is worth visiting, a cleverly-designed space made from rammed earth, surrounded by beautiful, country gardens, vines and native forest. Open daily from 10am to 5pm, a pergola and onsite BBQs make Sandalford a lovely place for a picnic with the family.
A Notable History
Sandalford was established in 1840 in the early days of the Perth colony’s settlement. The property was granted to WA’s first Surveyor General John Septimus Roe by Queen Victoria, to honour his 57 years of Service to the Commonwealth. He named it Sandalford after a priory in his original home of Birkshire, England.
The property had a diverse agricultural history and originally thrived growing table grapes, which became a lucrative export. Winemaking accelerated after World War II with a growing community of Croatian and Italian migrants bringing vast knowledge and techniques to the young Swan Valley wine industry. In 1970 the Roe family expanded to Margaret River, planting a vineyard on prime land in Wilyabrup.
In 1990, Sandalford was acquired by the Prendiville family, who own a portfolio of iconic tourism and hospitality establishments around WA. The Prendiville’s have invested significantly in the brand, the wines and the impressive estate.
Sandalford makes five ranges of wines from its vineyards in the Swan Valley and Margaret River. There are over 25 wines, including sparkling, red, white, dessert and fortified wines. The winery incorporates the state-of-the-art-technology, while retaining winemaking traditions, such as small batch fruit processing and using the best quality French and American oak.
The entire Sandalford wine range (and often some other special wines) can be tasted at their Margaret River cellar door and grand Swan Valley estate. The Margaret River cellar door is a cleverly-designed space, made from rammed earth. It is surrounded by beautiful, country gardens, vines and native forest.
A pergola and onsite BBQs make Sandalford a lovely place for a picnic with the family.
Open daily from 10am to 5pm.