Zinfandel Wine Variety Wineries in Golden Outback
Wineries in Australias Golden Outback
Share wine, cheese and a chat with Rex and Jan Hayes, a couple determined to realise Narrogin’s potential as a wine growing destination and have a cabinet full of Wheatbelt wine awards to prove it!
- Open Days/times:Friday - Monday 11am and 5pm or by appointment.
- Wine Variety:Sparkling,Fortified,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chenin Blanc,Semillon,Shiraz,Muscat,Tempranillo,Zinfandel
- Wine Region:Central WA
- Cases Produced:Less than 999
- Vineyards:5.3 Hectares
- Cellar Door Open:Monday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday
- Facilities:Cellar Door
- Size & Year:Micro (1-999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
Founded by Rex and Jan Hayes in 1997, Downderry vines grow on what was a working farm for many years. Originally the co-owner of Narrogin's local liquour store, Rex has always had a passion for the perfect drop and a determination to prove the well-matured loam and gravel over clay soils on his property could host healthy vines. The harvest season is truly a community affair at Downderry, with several local charities and sporting groups contributing to grape-picking.
The wines are made by Wine Society's Young Winemaker of the Year in 2013, Coby Ladwig of Rockcliffe's Wines.
Varieties include an earthy Shiraz, Rose, Moscato, Sparkling and an award-winning Zinfandel. Downderry Wines has won more than 20 medals and trophies in the Wandering Wheatbelt Wine Awards.
Enjoy teas and coffees alongside generous wine and cheese tastings at this quaint, family-friendly cellar door operated by the estate's friendly owners (and a handful of cuddly sheep and alpacas for kids to enjoy). Open Friday to Monday 11am - 5pm.
Caravaners are welcome to stay overnight on the grass for $5 a night (fee waived with the purchase of wine!)
Enjoy award-winning, single-vineyard organic and biodynamic wines from a rustic rammed- earth cellar door and art gallery surrounded by peaceful gardens and overlooking the Hotham Valley.
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Rosé,Dessert,Sangiovese,Semillon,Shiraz,Tempranillo,Zinfandel,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Chenin Blanc,Merlot,Tawny,Riesling,Botrytis Semillon,Cabernet Franc,Cabernet Merlot
- Open Days/times:Weekends and Public Holidays 12pm-5pm
- Wine Region:Central WA
- Cellar Door Open:Saturday,Sunday,Holidays
- Lunch Open:Saturday
- Cases Produced:3000
- Dinner Open:Saturday
- Facilities:Light Food,Picnic Facilities,Restaurant,Accommodation,Cellar Door,Functions,BBQ Facilities
- Winemaker:Wouter Denig
- Size & Year:Boutique (1,000-4,999 cases),Established 1951 - 2000
Formerly Hotham Valley Estate, the vineyard was planted in 1988. Current owners Leonard Bruin and Wouter Denig converted the operation to follow strict organic and biodynamic practices in 2002. Situated at an altitude of 350 metres, the vineyards enjoy ideal growing conditions of hot summers and cool winters, evident in the wines which combine elegance, structure and vibrant fruit characters.
Hotham Ridge has won over 30 different medals and 11 trophies from various Australian wine shows since 2003.
Varieties include Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Riesling, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Shiraz, Tempranillo, Verdelho and Zinfandel. A Mistelle white port or Shiraz port are also available in winter.
Open from Friday-Sunday 11am-3pm, the rustic cellar door offers a stunning environment to discover the wines and learn about organic and biodynamic winemaking principles.
Check out the large rammed-earth barrel room that has been transformed into an art gallery with an industrial style. Ten different exhibitions are shown each year. Two self catered cottages are available in the Hotham Ridge property too.