Perched beside the Hay River Valley, this north-facing vineyard is known to grow some of the best Sauvignon Blanc in Denmark. Cellar door reopening in 2019.
- Open Days/times:Cellar door and Cafe: Sat & Sun 11am to 5pm (closed during winter)
- Wine Region:Great Southern
- Wine Variety:Fortified,Cabernet Merlot,Cabernet Sauvignon,Chardonnay,Merlot,Port,Sauvignon Blanc,Semillon,Semillon Sauvignon Blanc,Shiraz,Sparkling,Sparkling Rose,Sparkling Shiraz
- Cases Produced:3500 cases
- Vineyards:13.5 hectares
- Winemaker:Peter and Anthony Buxton, Michael Staniford (Consultant)
- Facilities:Light Food,Cellar Door,Functions
Located nearby Denmark, Yilgarnia is the geological name for a region of Western Australia formed more than 2 billion years ago. Established in 1997 by Peter and Anthony Buxton, the vineyard has north-facing slopes with stunning views of the Hay River Valley, Wilson Inlet and the hills surrounding Denmark. The influence of the Southern Ocean's climate on the vineyard is significant and enables the production of colourful, aromatic, cool-climate wines.
Yilgarnia is highly recognised for its Sauvignon Blanc, which James Halliday suggested is the signature wine and one of the best of its kind in Australia. The hand-crafted, estate-grown range also includes three sparkling wines and a selection of Cabernet blends, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc Semillon wines are also made.
Reopening in 2019 is the cellar door, which offers tastings with some of the region’s most spectacular views across the vineyard, lush farmlands and wildflowers.