Urchin Point Campground
One of the best shore fishing locations in Australia, this site is one of six designated camping areas in the national park (camping fees are payable and you must book before arriving by contacting the Ranger at Steep Point on 08 99483993).
- Attraction Fee:$20 adult per night, $15 concession card holder per night, $3 child per night (over 5 and under 16 years)
- Feature:Dogs Allowed - No,2WD Access - No
This incredibly scenic spot is also a superb place to fish for local species (make sure you have a cliff gaff and plenty of lures). However, you should only fish along the island's western coast in suitable conditions, and with an eye to your personal safety, as this is wild and rugged coastline.
Before fishing, check the latest rules and regulations and comply with size, possession, season and bag limits (www.fish.wa.gov.au).
Look after the island while camping and it will still be in good condition the next time you visit:
• Bushfires are potentially devastating to people and wildlife. No wood fires or firewood collection is allowed. Portable cookers are preferred.
• Please take out what you bring in. Do not leave any rubbish, food scraps or any other items on the island and do not bury any rubbish. Stow rubbish securely to prevent it from being blown away.
• Bury toilet waste in a hole at least 50 centimetres deep at least 100 metres away from campsites and other public areas.
This information was provided by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions: dpaw.wa.gov.au
- Address: ,Dirk Hartog Island,WA,