46% of the adult Australian population has problems with everyday functional literacy. If you can read this, perhaps you can help an adult to read.
- Charity:Aboriginal,Education & Training,Employment & Training,Family,Local Community
Read Write Now has operated in Western Australia for over 40 years. The program trains and supports volunteer tutors to work one-to-one with adults who come from all walks of life and who want to improve their reading and writing skills.
- Some run their own businesses
- Some need additional skills for a promotion
- Some are unemployed
- Some are TAFE students needing help with courses
- Some are parents who want to read to their children, assist with homework or correspond with the school.
There should be no shame attached to problems with literacy, yet many people have suffered humiliation. Read Write Now provides a flexible learning environment where confidentiality is assured.
There are volunteers throughout the metropolitan area and in some regional centres throughout WA. If you would like to be a volunteer in this program or you know someone who would benefit from the assistance offered, call 1800 018 802 or check out the website at www.read-write-now.org