Oldham Werneth railway station was situated on the Oldham Loop Line, 6+1/4 miles (10 km) northeast of Manchester Victoria.
- Area:146.763 km2
- Elevation:160 m
- Local Government Area:Golden Plains Shire Council
Oldham Werneth railway station was situated on the Oldham Loop Line, 6+1/4 miles (10 km) northeast of Manchester Victoria. The station was situated on Featherstall Road South, in the Werneth area of Oldham, in Greater Manchester, England. Opened on 31 March 1842 it was the oldest of the six railway stations that at one time existed in Oldham.It predominantly served local Chadderton, Westwood and Werneth residents.The station was operated and served by Northern Rail.
The station was built originally to serve the Platt Bros. of Oldham, a huge cotton spinning engineering company, who had their headquarters in Werneth. However, this company no longer exists.
The Middleton Junction and Oldham Branch Railway formerly ran from Werneth Station down to Middleton Junction. The line included the Werneth Incline which had a gradient of 1 in 27, and was one of the steepest stretches of line regularly used for passenger traffic in the country. The branch line closed on 7 January 1963.The Oldham Werneth to Thorpes Bridge Junction, Newton Heath line which opened on 17 May 1880 was built to avoid the Werneth Incline. It approached Werneth station from the Manchester direction on a separate two track formation adjacent to the Incline. There was a flat junction between the two lines just beyond Werneth Signal Box and close to the platform ends of the station.Oldham Werneth railway station closed on 3 October 2009 when work started on the conversion of the Oldham Loop Line to Manchester Metrolink. The area is now served by the nearby Westwood and Freehold tram stops.
# Things to do