Wahgunyah is a town in northeastern Victoria, Australia.
- Area:36.691 km2
- Elevation:140 m
- Local Government Area:Indigo Shire Council
Wahgunyahis a town in northeastern Victoria, Australia. The town is on the southern bank of the Murray River, opposite Corowa, New South Wales, in the Shire of Indigo. Wahgunyah is 298 kilometres (185 mi) north east of the state capital, Melbourne and 51 kilometres (32 mi) west of Albury/Wodonga. At the 2016 census, Wahgunyah had a population of 1,098.The name is believed to be an aboriginal phrase meaning the resting place of crows.
The Wahgunyah cattle run was leased by John Foord and John Crisp in 1841. The township was established by Foord in 1856 and became important before the arrival of the railway in 1879 as the furthest upstream port on the Murray. The Post Office opened on 1 July 1858 and a school opened the same year.
All Saints Estate winery to the north of town was established in 1864 by Scottish emigrants George Sutherland Smith and John Banks and its extensive cellar building was, at least in part, modelled on the Castle of Mey near Smith and Banks's home town Caithness.
# Things to do