St Kilda East is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 km south-east from Melbourne's Central Business District.
- Area:2.265 km2
- Elevation:20 m
- Local Government Area:Glen Eira City Council
St Kilda East is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 6 km south-east from Melbourne's Central Business District. It is located within the local government areas of the City of Glen Eira and the City of Port Phillip. At the 2011 Census, St Kilda East had a population of 12,576.
St Kilda East is one of the more diverse and densely populated suburbs of Melbourne. It has a prominent Hasidic Jewish community, descended from Polish and Russian immigrants. Quiet and residential, it is quite different from the adjacent suburb of St Kilda. However, the area around Carlisle Street is very diverse with a strong arts, alternative and indie community.
The St Kilda East area was part of the lands of the Boon wurrung tribe of Indigenous Australians before being first settled by Anglo-British settlers in the 1850s. Smaller timber shacks were common during the early 1860s to 1870s, with larger houses on the bigger subdivisions. During the late 1870s, terraced housing began around the railway line.
Alma Park was laid out and areas surrounding the park were set aside for religious purposes, resulting in a large number of convents and chapels along Chapel Street and either side of Dandenong Road. In the 1950s, speculative development resulted in the alteration of many of the suburb's streetscapes.Centred on Chapel Street and to the east of the railway line, flats became common in the area.
Recent development of the suburbs, rising land values and excellent access to public transport has seen recent gentrification in the area. Modern infill medium density apartments are being built on many blocks, with the Carlisle Street area designated an activity centre under the Melbourne 2030 planning scheme.
# Things to do
## Residential architecture
The suburb is dominated by 1960s flats. There are, however, some pockets of preserved heritage streetscapes. Godfrey Avenue has well-preserved rows of Edwardian cottages on either side of the street and is protected by council heritage controls. Camden Street has several rows of Victorian semi-detached timber workers cottages.
Some large Victorian buildings remain along Inkerman Street and Alma Road, but have been since subdivided into flats. The streets in between have a mix of housing from different periods.
## Non-residential architecture
## Places of worship
There are many churches in St Kilda East, with many of the modern places of worship serving the Jewish Faith: some older buildings have in earlier times belonged to Christian denominations.Many of these buildings have historic significance with heritage registration, and often form various religious precincts.
Yeshiva Centre is the headquarters and main synagogue of Chabad in Melbourne.
Chabad House of Caulfield is a replica of the New York headquarters of the Chabad movement at 770 Eastern Parkway.
The bluestone All Saints Anglican Church on Chapel Street was built in 1861, and is reputed to have the largest seating capacity of any Anglican parish church in the Southern hemisphere, with a capacity of 1500 in the pews. The neighbouring Parish Hall was built as an extension to the church in 1909 and was restored in 2005 during a conversion into a boutique gymnasium.
Another Anglican Parish Church is St James the Great, established in 1914 and located at 435 Inkerman Street.St James was founded in close association with the former Church of England St John's Theological College, which was located in nearby Alma Road, on the lot now bisected by Wilgah Street. The Diocese closed the seminary in 1919 amid some controversy directed towards the then perceived Anglo-Catholicity of the seminary (which was at odds with the prevailing sentiment of the diocese at the time). The land was sold and subdivided.
### Roman Catholic
The St Mary's Catholic Church (208-214 Dandenong Road), designed by William Wardell and built in 1858, was one of the earliest bluestone churches.
The East St Kilda Uniting Church, on the corner of Hotham and Inkerman Streets, was built in 1887, to the design of architect Hillson Beasley. Originally a church of the Congregational Union of Australia prior to the formation of the Uniting Church, it was sold by the Uniting Church to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Melbourne in 2011 for the establishment of an Eastern Orthodox use church, according to the provisions of an Ordinariate.
### Uniting Church
The St George's Uniting Church, on Chapel Street, was built in 1877, to the design of Albert Purchas and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. It has been leased by St Michael's Grammar School since 1990.
The former Balaclava Corps Hall, built in 1929 on Camden Street, is an unusual design, featuring castellated motifs. It was sold to the Autocephalous Orthodox Ukrainian Church in 1976, now being the parish of The Sacred Assumption of the Holy Virgin.
## Public spaces
The suburb's main park is Alma Park, a large park designed by Clement Hodgkinson in 1867, which was split into two linear parks by the Sandringham railway line in 1858. The park has recreational facilities, including a heritage rotunda, a cricket and football (soccer) oval and bike paths, as well as large stands of elm trees, Moreton Bay Figs and native vegetation areas.
### St Kilda General Cemetery
St Kilda Cemetery covers a large block bordered by Dandenong Road, Hotham Street, Alma Road and Alexandra Street. It is bounded by a historic wall and contains many Victorian era graves. The cemetery is the resting place of Alfred Deakin, the second Prime Minister of Australia, and Albert Jacka VC, MC, barrister and Mayor of St Kilda (1930).
## East St Kilda Heritage Study
In 2004 the City of Port Phillip commissioned a heritage study that recommended the following areas as heritage precincts and places. The Council adopted most of the recommendations in 2004 and the controls which apply to each of the areas so listed.Heritage Precincts
Chusan Street (from 1886 onwards)
Godfrey Avenue / Raglan Street (settled early 1910s)
Hammerdale Avenue (Former grounds of "Hammerdale House" from 1868, demolished and subdivided 1925)
Holroyd Court (former grounds of "Fernacre" from c. 1867, demolished and subdivided 1936)
Kalymna Grove / Inkerman Street (Market gardens until 1914, subdivided and housing erected between 1914 and 1924)
Mooltan Avenue (Former grounds of "Mooltan Estate" subdivided 1922)
Murchison Street /Alma Road (Former site of St John's College Anglican Seminary closed 1919, subdivision and building continuing until the late 1930s)
Orange Grove (from the 1890s)Individual Heritage Places
31-35 Alexander Street (Houses c. 1887–88)
5 -7 Balstan Street (Former Kynoch & Co. Factory c. 1922, 1940)
16 Balstan Street (Cottage - oldest surviving dwelling Pre 1863, extended 1869)
52 Balstan Street (Electrical Substation, c. 1929)
316- 320 Inkerman Street (Houses c. 1888)
20 Shirley Grove
22 Shirley Grove (House - "Pine Nook" c. 1920)For some reason, the following properties, although included in the heritage study recommendations, were not included in the overlay.
42 Hotham Street (House c. 1927)
34 Young Street (House - "Warby Cottage" c. 1870)