Quarry Hill is an inner suburb of Bendigo, Victoria, Australia 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) south of the Bendigo city centre.
- Area:2.432 km2
- Elevation:237 m
- Local Government Area:City of Greater Bendigo
Quarry Hill is an inner suburb of Bendigo, Victoria, Australia 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) south of the Bendigo city centre. At the 2016 census, Quarry Hill had a population of 2,339.According to the Victorian Places web site
The area was first known as Charcoal Gully, where an Anglican school was opened in 1857. In 1873 it was replaced with a State school known as Sandhurst East, a name which lasted until 1908 when it was named Quarry Hill.
The locality is generally hilly and hardly disfigured by mine or quarry workings. In fact, the hills serve as a visual backdrop to several fine Victorian and Edwardian houses, the most notable of which is The Eyrie (1874) at 18 Reginald Street. A short distance to the south is the Bendigo Cemetery (1858). Both The Eyrie and the cemetery are on the Victorian Heritage Register, including the cemetery's chapel and funerary oven.
Another house is Edelweiss in Hamlet Street. It was built in 1890 for Sir John Quick, constitutional lawyer and Bendigo parliamentarian. In retirement, Quick served on the committees of the Bendigo art gallery and mechanics' institute, wrote pioneering bibliographical studies and was instrumental in founding the Quarry Hill golf club.
# Things to do