Macleod is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 14 km north-east from Melbourne's Central Business District.
- Area:4.571 km2
- Elevation:64 m
- Local Government Area:Banyule City Council
Macleod is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 14 km north-east from Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government areas are the Cities of Banyule and Darebin. At the 2016 Census, Macleod had a population of 9,769.
Macleod West refers to the predominantly residential locality to the west of the railway line and station.
One of the first subdivisions in Macleod occurred on 12 November 1910. 133 allotments from the Strathallan Estate were auctioned, fronting Greensborough Rd., Strathallan Rd., Edward St. and Railway Place (Somers Ave.). At the time the area comprising Macleod and Rosanna was called North Heidelberg.In 1910, Mr M. A. Macleod sold 75 acres of land along the railway line to the Bent government with the stipulation that a railway station be built a mile and a half beyond Rosanna, probably named "Macleod".The sale was requested by the government after they purchased 1,000 acres from the Bamfield's estate at Mont Park for a new psychiatric hospital. This purchase was cut off from the railway, so in order to gain access, they approached the landowner Mr M. A. Macleod to sell a strip of land along the railway line.Macleod railway station opened in 1911, 9 years after the railway line passed through.
Macleod Post Office opened on 11 December 1923, located in the general store on the south-west corner of Greensborough and Strathallan Roads. It was replaced by the Simpson Barracks office in 1987. Macleod West Post Office opened in 1954 on McNamara Street between Dunstan and Ruthven Streets.The first Aberdeen Road shops were built in the early to mid-1950s, between Erskine Rd and Leith Rd.Macleod Primary School was built in 1926 on 4.5 acres of land on Greensborough Road between Coolie Aveand Fairlie Ave.Macleod High School opened on 31 May 1954 after a one week delay caused by the condition of unmade roads, which prevented furniture deliveries. The headmaster was Mr. F. J. Meyer. The initial enrollment consisted of 70 boys and 160 girls.
# Things to do