Macarthur originally known as Eumeralla, is a town in the Western District of Victoria, Australia on the Hamilton-Port Fairy Road.
- Area:298.926 km2
- Elevation:85 m
- Local Government Area:Moyne Shire Council
Macarthur originally known as Eumeralla, is a town in the Western District of Victoria, Australia on the Hamilton-Port Fairy Road. It is in the Shire of Moyne local government area and the federal Division of Wannon.At the 2016 census, Macarthur and the surrounding area had a population of 522.
## Aboriginal residency and traditional ownership
Before British colonisation, the region around Macarthur was occupied by the Worerome killink gundidj clan of the Gunditjmara people.The formally recognised traditional owners for the area in which Macarthur sits are groups within the Eastern Maar and Gunditjmara peoples, who are represented by the Eastern Maar Aboriginal Corporation (EMAC) and the Gunditj Mirring Traditional Owners Aboriginal Corporation (GMTOAC).
## British pastoral licences
In 1840, the Bolden brothers were the first British pastoralists to obtain crown leaseholds in the region. The immense leasehold, named Bolden's run, covered large amounts of land west of the Hopkins River. In 1842, the Boldens' leasehold was divided up and the resultant properties around what was to become the Macarthur region were known as Eumeralla East, Eumeralla West and Harton Hills (which was also known as Blackfellows Creek). The Eumeralla leaseholds were taken up by James Hunter and his associates, while Harton Hills was occupied by William Carmichael.
## Township of Macarthur
In 1852, the Eumeralla Inn, built by Mr. Gwyther was the first building constructed.
The township was laid out near the Eumeralla River by surveyor John Turner, with the first land sales taking place shortly after on 17 July 1857.
Macarthur Post Office opened 1 January 1862.The Macarthur Magistrates' Court closed on 1 January 1983.
# Things to do