Grantville is a small town in Victoria, Australia.
- Area:14.99 km2
- Elevation:16 m
- Local Government Area:Bass Coast Shire Council
Grantville is a small town in Victoria, Australia. In the 2016 census, Grantville had a population of 831.The town was named after Lieutenant James Grant who surveyed the area in 1801.
Grantville was probably named by surveyor Edmund Colbert in 1870 after James McPherson Grant, MLA, a lawyer who was a member of Parliament from 1855 to 1885, president of the board of lands and works and commissioner of crown lands and survey from September 1864 to May 1868. Although generally accepted, there is no evidence that Grantville is named after Lieutenant James Grant, who had sailed the Lady Nelson into Western Port in 1801.
Grantville was established as a supply port situated on the east coast of Western Port. Sawmills were soon built and Grantville took a turn to become a town centered on timber. Short tramways were constructed between the sawmills and the jetty. Ships arriving at the jetty would bring in supplies for the locals and the land selectors further out in the Gippsland hills, andon their return voyage they carried timber to Melbourne.The town fell into decline after the closure of the last of the sawmills in the early 1900s however 60 years on saw a new industry emerge around sand extraction for the production of concrete, this activity has revitalized the town which has seen an influx of new residents, and of new home construction.
# Things to do