Glenthompson is a town in the Australian state of Victoria(South West of Victoria).
- Area:313.881 km2
- Elevation:271 m
- Local Government Area:Southern Grampians Shire Council
Glenthompson is a town in the Australian state of Victoria(South West of Victoria). It lies on the Glenelg Highway between Hamilton and Ballarat, close to the Grampian mountain range.At the 2016 census, Glenthompson and the surrounding area had a population of 234.Its most notable landmark is the tall brickworks chimney that is also the symbol of what was the township's main industry for a period of time, as it provided bricks for regional buildings constructed in the post-war era. The brickworks is now closed but people can arrange a tour by appointment.
Originally, a small township named Yuppeckiar was built approximately five kilometres away, but it was moved to the present site of Glenthompson because of the construction of the railway linking Ballarat and Hamilton. The Post Office opened on November 1, 1866as Glenthompson, was known for some months in 1872 as Yuppeckiar before reverting to Glenthompson.Pastoral settlement in the Glenthompson area began in 1848, and the subdivision of the land began in 1853. One of the resulting portions was the Glenronald property (which may be the source of the first part of the towns name, with the second part believed to have come from the name of a surveyor or local land owner).
Nowadays it is a very quiet country town that serves as a minor transport and services hub for the surrounding farming district.
# Things to do