Geelong West is a commercial and residential suburb of Geelong, Victoria, Australia.
- Area:2.353 km2
- Elevation:28 m
- Local Government Area:City of Greater Geelong
Geelong West is a commercial and residential suburb of Geelong, Victoria, Australia. When Geelong was founded, the area was known as Kildare but its name was changed to Geelong West in 1875. The main street is Pakington Street. At the 2016 Census, Geelong West had a population of 6,966.
Ashby was once a suburb of Geelong located in the area of Geelong West, west of Latrobe Terrace, between Aberdeen Street and Church Street. By 1850, that area had become known as Little Scotland, and Kildare. At that time, Ashby referred to the area between Autumn Street and Waratah Street.
In 1875, the entire Ashby area was renamed West Geelong. The Ashby state school, which had only opened that year, had its name changed to Geelong West. In 1988, as part of Australia's bicentennial celebrations, the school changed its name back to Ashby. A Post Office named Geelong West opened on 1 July 1865, but was replaced and renamed Geelong North Railway Station in 1886. On 1 April 1887, the Geelong West office reopened near its present location. In 1960, Shandeen Post Office opened near the corner of Aberdeen Road and Shannon Avenue.From 1912 until 1956, Geelong West was served by an electric tramway service in Pakington Street, after which the service was replaced by buses run by Benders Buslines.
The M. Donaghy & Sons ropeworks was located in Pakington Street. The site has been redeveloped into a shopping centre, with a Woolworths (formerly Safeway) supermarket and specialty shops.
# Things to do