Frankston North (originally the Pines Forest Estate, also known as "The Pines") is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 38 km south-east of Melbourne's Central Business District, located within the City of Frankston local government area.
- Area:5.118 km2
- Elevation:18 m
- Local Government Area:Frankston City Council
Frankston North (originally the Pines Forest Estate, also known as "The Pines") is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 38 km south-east of Melbourne's Central Business District, located within the City of Frankston local government area. Frankston North recorded a population of 5,762 at the 2016 Census.
## Reserve created for preservation and growth of timber
In 1853, a 42 square miles (109 km2) 'run' of land, named "Balleymarong" edit was established and later acquired by Sir Andrew Clarke, surveyor general to the Colony of Victoria from 1853. Balleymarong's northern boundary was Eumemmering Creek (now the Patterson River). The southern boundary was Skye Road. Boundary Road (now McClelland Drive) was the eastern boundary with the western side boundary being Port Phillip Bay.The 1860 Victorian Land Act led to the sub-division and sale of land in Balleymarong. The Victorian Government reserved 3,600 acres (15 km2) for various purposes. 1,370 acres (6 km2) was set aside 'For the Preservation and Growth of Timber'.
Circa 1870, the inbound 'Clarke Reserve' was proposed as an alternative site for the Old Melbourne Cemetery. It was later agreed that an area at Springvale was a better site. The 'Clarke Reserve' was established in 1909 as a State Pine forest called the Frankston Pine Plantation. W.J. Hartland was appointed as Conservator in Charge. Pinus radiata was the most successful of the various species planted. A count taken of numbers revealed that over 1 million trees had been planted.
James Brown was appointed as the second forest officer to the State Pine Plantation in the 1920s. A residence was built in Dandenong Road for him and his daughter by the Victorian Forest Commission. This house still exists. The last officer in charge of the State Pine Plantation was Harry Firth who lasted until 1956.
## Fire in the Pines Plantation
During 1955, a fire destroyed a large part of the plantation. Another fire would threaten the housing estate later in the century during 1999. In 1956, 296 acres (1.2 km2) were excised from the reserved area to allow the Housing Commission to build houses for low-income families.The first stage of the housing in Pines Forest was completed in 1957 and Pines Forest Post Office opened on 12 October 1959 (closing in 1980). The Pines Forest Post Office is now run as a private business in the Pines Forest shopping strip on the corner of Forest Drive and Mahogany boulevard.The first streets constructed were in the south of the area. The names of the streets alluded to the species of pines planted in the plantation: The first street constructed was Pine Street, followed by Plantation Street and Forest Drive. The various pine species reflected in street names are Monterey, Radiata, Corsican, Aleppo, Norfolk, and Excelsior (Excelsa). Many other streets in Frankston North are named after exotic and native species. Several species of flowering eucalyptus were planted in the street verges. Excelsior Drive was the northern boundary.
In 1965, the second wave and eventual completion of the building program began east of Excelsior Drive and extended as far as the proposed Mornington Peninsula Freeway to the east. The freeway zone acted as a buffer between the houses and the Frankston Municipal tip.
## 1970s and 1980s
"The Pines" had a reputation during the 1970s and 1980s for being a "high crime" suburb. Leader Community Newspapers records show that car theft, assaults, vandalism and drug related crime were commonplace. There was continual rivalry and fighting between pupils of Monterey Technical and High schools. It was commonplace to witness on-field violence at home games of the 'Pines Football Club'.East Ward councilor Jane Hill said that there was "No reason for (the) Pines stigma" and said that its reputation existed only in the minds of a minority of Frankston residents.
Community action during 1980 prevented a proposal to subdivide the Pines Flora and Fauna Reserve. Unions supported the stance against the plan which was developed in the 1970s
## Changes in The Pines' reputation
Monterey Boulevard, a major thoroughfare which travels from west to east through the centre of the suburb used to be a well-known illegal street drag racing location until traffic chicanes were installed in 1993. There are now speed humps and roundabouts throughout the estate and a local Hoon hotline has been established.
During the 1990s, many state-owned homes were sold to the inhabitants as private homes, particularly within the eastern quarter. This led to better maintenance and presentation as homeowners renovated.
# Things to do