中文
Select Page

Join Our Community
You May Also Like

Eltham

Eltham

Details

  • Area:16.587 km2
  • Elevation:44 m
  • Population:18,314
  • Local Government Area:Nillumbik Shire Council

Description

Eltham is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 20 km north-east of the Central Business District. Its local government area is the Shire of Nillumbik. At the 2016 Census, Eltham had a population of 18,314. Eltham is one of the 'green wedge' areas that provide relatively undeveloped, accessible environments within the Melbourne suburban region. These green wedge areas are under constant pressure from developments such as road and freeway expansions, but Eltham has managed to retain many tree-lined streets and leafy reserves. However, the character of the suburb is changing rapidly, with increased road traffic and higher-density housing becoming more common. Eltham's tourist attractions include the artists colony Montsalvat and the Diamond Valley Railway, the largest ridable miniature railway in Australia. # History A reserve for a village at the junction of the Diamond Creek and Yarra River is shown on maps around 1848. By 1851 the first Crown allotments were being subdivided and sold, along with a private subdivision developed by J. M. Holloway, known as Little Eltham. At this time, the town's centre was located around the intersection of Pitt Street and Main Road. An early settler was Henry Dendy who operated a flour mill.Eltham Post Office opened on 1 February 1854.The first Eltham Cemetery Trust was appointed in February 1860.St Margaret's Church commenced construction in 1861 at 10 John St Eltham.The Evelyn Observer was a weekly newspaper published from 1873 to 1942. It had various titles over the years.Digitsed copies can be accessed for various dates via Trove. Other local newspapers have included Eltham and Whittlesea Shires Advertiser and Diamond Creek Valley Advocate (1917-1922) and Eltham and Whittlesea Shire Advertiser (1940-1942) These papers can also be accessed via Trove. The Eltham Hotel was established in 1867 and continues to be in business.The arrival of the railway line in 1902 drew business further north along Main Road to the current town centre. A war memorial in the form of an obelisk of granite was unveiled 3 August 1919 in what was then the centre of the township. In the 1960s it was relocated to the front of the Eltham RSL sub branch. It was moved again in 2010 in front of the Eltham War Memorial Building Complex.The Eltham War Memorial Building Complex recognises those who served and died in World War 2. The community complex originally featured an infant welfare centre, war memorial gates and a wrought iron arch, memorial garden, pre-school and children's library.Eltham Presbyterian Church opened in 1958.The Eltham Magistrates' Court closed on 1 February 1985.The Eltham Refugee Housing and Support Project was delivered in partnership with St Vincent's Health Australia and CatholicCare to provide accommodation and settlement support to newly arrived refugees from Syria and Iraq. From November 2016 to October 2018, refugees were provided with affordable accommodation in refurbished units on the site of St Vincent's Care Services Eltham Aged Care facility. During this time, CatholicCare provided tenancy and settlement support.Leader Community Newspapers published the Diamond Valley Leader for some years before it ceased publication in June 2020. # Weather # Things to do

Location