中文
Select Page

Join Our Community
You May Also Like

Eaglehawk

Eaglehawk is a former gold-mining town in Victoria, Australia and a suburb within the City of Greater Bendigo.

Details

  • Area:14.566 km2
  • Elevation:224 m
  • Population:5,691
  • Local Government Area:City of Greater Bendigo

Description

Eaglehawk is a former gold-mining town in Victoria, Australia and a suburb within the City of Greater Bendigo. The town is situated to the north-west of Bendigo on the Loddon Valley Highway. The highway is known locally as High Street until the intersection with Sailors Gully Road (Bendigo - Pyramid Road) and as Peg Leg Road to the west. Located on this intersection is Brassey Square which is the location of the town hall. Next to the town hall is the former post office and the Mechanics' Institute. To the north of the intersection on Napier Street is Canterbury Park and Lake Neangar while the Swan Hill railway line and the local railway station are located to the south. # History The original inhabitants of the area were the Neangar people. Following the discovery of gold at Sandhurst (Bendigo) in October 1851, Joseph Crook discovered a gold nugget while searching for stray horses. This event sparked a gold rush in the area leading to the establishment of the township in 1852, the population quickly building up to 40,000. The Post Office opened on 1 August 1857. In 1862, the Borough of Eaglehawk was established, which included the nearby township of California Gully. After the alluvial gold was exhausted in 1893, reef mines were established, with 300 tonnes of gold extracted. Most of the mines had closed by the 1890s and by 1947 the population had decreased substantially to 4,090. The Eaglehawk Magistrates' Court closed on 1 January 1990.In 1994 the Borough of Eaglehawk was amalgamated by the Victorian Government with four other councils to become the city of Greater Bendigo. # Weather # Things to do

Location