中文
Select Page

Join Our Community
You May Also Like

Carrum Downs

Carrum Downs is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 36 km south-east of Melbourne's Central Business District, located within the City of Frankston local government area.

Details

  • Area:20.308 km2
  • Elevation:30 m
  • Population:20,711
  • Local Government Area:Frankston City Council

Description

Carrum Downs is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 36 km south-east of Melbourne's Central Business District, located within the City of Frankston local government area. Carrum Downs recorded a population of 20,711 at the 2016 Census. Prior to December 1994 the majority of Carrum Downs was within the City of Cranbourne. However, following statewide local government reform, the suburb was moved to be part of a new, larger City of Frankston. In late 2006, RealEstatesource compiled a list of the top ten performing suburbs in Melbourne, Carrum Downs was ranked fourth with property showing a 94.4% median value increase since the real estate market's 'peak' of 2001. In January 2008, the 'Your Investment Property' periodical published an article on Carrum Downs, predicting an increased demand for residential and commercial property in the area, following the completion of the Eastlink project in June 2008. # History ## Karrum Karrum Before European settlers arrived at Port Phillip, Aborigines resting after the stiff climb of Oliver's Hill, Frankston, and looking north along the bay would have viewed a long ribbon of sandy beach shaped vaguely like a boomerang. The area was called Karrum Karrum, or as some of the early squatters interpreted it, Garem Gam, meaning "Boomerang". The swampy marshland behind the sand dunes was a rich hunting ground teeming with wildlife. ## Carrum Swamp The Carrum Swamp measured approximately 15 km from north to south, and averaged about 5 km across from east to west. It was up to 8 km wide at the northern end. The high lands visible in the swamp were the Isles of Wannarkladdin, now Chelsea Heights. The swampland with its dense growth of swamp tea-tree and other vegetation was covered for the most part by the waters from the Dandenong, Eumemmerring, and other smaller creeks, with a total catchment area of approximately 430 km2, with the present townships of Langwarrin, Cranbourne, Berwick, Belgrave, Ferntree Gully, Olinda, Lilydale, Croydon and Ringwood forming its perimeter. Some of the waters eventually flowed through marshy country to the Mordialloc Creek or through to the Kananook Creek which flowed into the bay at Frankston.The Carrum Swamp together with the larger Koo-Wee-Rup Swamp made a formidable barrier against the early explorers and land seekers in the early days. ## The birth of Carrum - allotments on the Long Beach The first survey of the Carrum swamp was made by T. E. Rawlinson, and completed by 2 January 1866. The only sign of European habitation reported by Rawlinson was a fisherman's cottage occupied by John Watkins and his family near the present Watkins Grove, Aspendale. The survey between the swamp and the sea resulted in Mr Callinan, the State's assistant surveyor, dividing the area into 18 allotments stretching from the Mordialloc Creek to the present Keast Park, Seaford. The land was referred to as the "Allotments on the Long Beach", the first sales taking place at Semmell McCaul & Co's Auction Rooms at Collins Street, Melbourne, on 22 December 1865. The upset price was $6 per acre. Most of the land sold went to investors, but some development did take place near the already established fishing village of Mordialloc. Carrum Downs Post Office finally opened on 1 November 1909.The land sold on the swamp side was bought by Hugh Brown who built his home "Pine Vale" near the site of the Mordialloc High School which was part of his property. He was 40 years a Councillor of the Shire of Dandenong and served as President of the Shire. He was famous for his "Carrum" potatoes which were sent to several States. When Hugh Brown started farming there were still wild cattle roaming the swamplands from the original squatting days of the later 1830s to the 1850s. ## The first settlement During the Great Depression, the Brotherhood of St Laurence built a settlement at Carrum Downs to provide food and shelter to suffering families. After World War II, the suburb was gradually redeveloped as a Village for aged persons. ## Botany Park and the redevelopment of Botany Bush A small section of Carrum Downs is sometimes referred to by locals as "Botany Park", based on the name of a housing estate built during the late 1970s and early 1980s. In the first major development of its type in the area, land was subdivided into generous lots between the southern and northern perimeters of Ballarto and Hall Roads. The generous land allotments, affordability and proximity to Frankston attracted families to the suburb. Development was conducted by AV Jennings, which financed and built prominent signage reading 'Botany Park' on the corner of Ballarto Road and Lyrebird Drive. The signage remains, although weather degradation and graffiti have degraded its appearance. During the early 1990s, the South Western quarter between Ballarto and Frankston-Dandenong Roads was known as 'Botany Bush'. The area was redeveloped into housing during the late 1990s. # Weather # Things to do

Location